Electric Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
had to move to cows to my hay fields yesterday so I started tryin to decipher the HT fence that has not been plugged in for 3 or 4 yrs . I checked all of the corners , tightened all the strainers and only had to build a short run where I cut a gate in a few months back . All of this was done by 9 am sunday. I then started at the fence box, The PO cut all the wires loose and ran a hot wire over to the dog yard so I was having to try and guess what was what. once I found a ground stob I used some spare wire to check continuity to isolate ground wire , Then checked the Hot wire and wired up the box ( I still don't know how he had the dog wire working It was bass ackard ) I got the small area behind barn lighting up all 5 lights on the tester , I move on to the lane area. One side of the lane is working like it should . the other side is not. I find where the underground wire is disconnected , I test these wires and hook them up . Now all 5 wires are hot not every other one . I spent the next 4 hrs connecting and dis connecting wires to try and solve the problem. I finally disconnected all ground wires from the fence on one side of the lane and got top middle and bottom wires hot . I went and bought some new underground wire today and gonna run new ground wire and put in more ground stobs , I am still baffled as to why it would not work the way it was supposed too. all of the double insulated wire is ran in PVC under every gap.

M-5":161pyaig said:
had to move to cows to my hay fields yesterday so I started tryin to decipher the HT fence that has not been plugged in for 3 or 4 yrs . I checked all of the corners , tightened all the strainers and only had to build a short run where I cut a gate in a few months back . All of this was done by 9 am sunday. I then started at the fence box, The PO cut all the wires loose and ran a hot wire over to the dog yard so I was having to try and guess what was what. once I found a ground stob I used some spare wire to check continuity to isolate ground wire , Then checked the Hot wire and wired up the box ( I still don't know how he had the dog wire working It was bass ackard ) I got the small area behind barn lighting up all 5 lights on the tester , I move on to the lane area. One side of the lane is working like it should . the other side is not. I find where the underground wire is disconnected , I test these wires and hook them up . Now all 5 wires are hot not every other one . I spent the next 4 hrs connecting and dis connecting wires to try and solve the problem. I finally disconnected all ground wires from the fence on one side of the lane and got top middle and bottom wires hot . I went and bought some new underground wire today and gonna run new ground wire and put in more ground stobs , I am still baffled as to why it would not work the way it was supposed too. all of the double insulated wire is ran in PVC under every gap.

Electric fence can be frustrating. But it sure is handy! Sounds like you made good progress.

Best money I ever spent was for a fault finder. With over two miles of electric wire it could run me nuts at times that was a pretty short trip before my motor overheated.

Caustic Burno":1q9gddhm said:
Best money I ever spent was for a fault finder. With over two miles of electric wire it could run me nuts at times that was a pretty short trip before my motor overheated.
@ 100.00 but very handy to have.Saves a lot of walking and checking

I may have to buy one of them , I had some extra disconnects in the bucket that were never installed . I put one in on a cross fence which saved a bunch of steps to the barn to unplug the box.

Latest posts