electric fence wire

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
I'm finally about ready to put up some electric fence and was wondering about the wire of choice. I'm looking at 17 gauge aluminum and 16 gauge high tensile steel. This will be semi permanent fencing. One thing I have read is that the aluminum fence can't be rolled up and reused, not sure about the high tensile steel. Thoughts and experiences?

Why not start with what you'll eventually end up with 12 1/2 gauge double galvanized steel?

High tensile wire can be rolled up and re-used.
I usually start with a long end bent to the side, and hitch it round the roll every few turns to keep the whole loop under control. No doubt there's better ways of achieving that purpose... probably if you roll it out with a spining jenny you can roll it back onto one.

MarkM":200hyy0s said:
dun":200hyy0s said:
Why not start with what you'll eventually end up with 12 1/2 gauge double galvanized steel?

Yep, and use polywire for your temporary divisions.
This is what I've started doing . Rotating on rye grass now . Agmantoo has a lot of good information on homesteading today . Com it's about a 50 page thread on rotational grazing .

I went with aluminum finally after trying the other's. Deer and electric fences don't go together well.
To this day I have not figured how they can tie the electic and barb wire together where it looks like an explosion in a steel wool factory. It is just easier to straighten and splice the aluminum back together for me.

Caustic Burno":221ukl1o said:
To this day I have not figured how they can tie the electic and barb wire together where it looks like an explosion in a steel wool factory.

That sounds hilarious! Not, ofcourse, to the person that has to straighten that mess out.

I still use poly wire; haven't had any real trouble, but I only use it in winter with ryegrass pastures.

I went to 4 strand barb with a hot in between because of the deer. Using the extended insulators. Use the short one and you'll constantly be picking hot out of the barb and chasing grounded out shorts. Every dog coyote deer coon chicken will tangle that fence up

hooknline":2fav31cr said:
I went to 4 strand barb with a hot in between because of the deer. Using the extended insulators. Use the short one and you'll constantly be picking hot out of the barb and chasing grounded out shorts. Every dog coyote deer coon chicken will tangle that fence up

It doesn't matter how you string it, one of the two hot wire's will get ripped down or tangled up. I strung it tighter than a fiddle string through ceramic insulators screwed in to post. During the rut I just turn it off and close the gate to the back pasture. When the white oak acorn's start falling herds of deer are coming in. You are not keeping deer out of that creek bottom without game proof fence. There is a 5 stand barb wire fence with a hot on top and a hot in the middle. I have all seven strands wound together.

JSCATTLE":3k8tgmcb said:
MarkM":3k8tgmcb said:
dun":3k8tgmcb said:

Yep, and use polywire for your temporary divisions.
This is what I've started doing . Rotating on rye grass now . Agmantoo has a lot of good information on homesteading today . Com it's about a 50 page thread on rotational grazing .
sounds like a better cure for insomnia than an economics textbook!!!!!!!

spoon":137x6e96 said:
I'm finally about ready to put up some electric fence and was wondering about the wire of choice. I'm looking at 17 gauge aluminum and 16 gauge high tensile steel. This will be semi permanent fencing. One thing I have read is that the aluminum fence can't be rolled up and reused, not sure about the high tensile steel. Thoughts and experiences?
12.5 gauge galvanized hi tensile is best. You can roll it back up if you need to take it down. Deer can not break it. Cows won't touch it. Just in case the idea somehow got planted in your head to string barb wire along with the hot wire do not do it because for one thing it will get tangled with the 12.5 gauge by deer and another thing it will not increase the effectiveness of your fence one bit.

Three strand high tensile galvanized steel, no barbed wire works OK, less issues with deer.

If you place plastic bags every 10 paces along the top wire this will reduce the deer issue as well. Does not look very nice. Have done this to protect high value crops with some effect.

To reroll or unroll high tensile wire a spinning jenny with a good brake is ok, or driven one works even better.

Instead of the plastic bags, when I put up a new fence, for the cows, horses and deer to see it I use silver duct tape, a piece about 8" long, folded over the wire onto itself. Kind of like silver flags.

I have used survey tape with no luck might give the duct tape a try next fall I doubt if it works as nothing else has.
There a 3 Parmak 10 mile chargers working on this place with each one being able to back up the other. There is no problem anywhere with deer except the back hayfield. It is surrounded by woods on 4 sides that is loaded with White Oak trees. When acorn's go to falling and the rut start's in the deer world this is the place to party.

Thanks to everyone. Looks like I'll be better off just going with 12.5 ga high tensile from the start.

Latest posts