Electric Fence Shutoff

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
Any ideas for a way to turn an electric fence off in different places. I use one charger for 5 different pastures, but would like to be able to shut it off in different places. Any suggestions?

M-5":3vng6zzu said:
Several types of shut off available , I have a couple of dial type and a couple of lever throw type.
Yup, switches are the key

We use switches to isolate stretches of fence, but we also use remote controls that come with the fence energizers. The "remote" looks like a tv remote and it serves two purposes: 1) locate faults by giving the direction and the severity of the fault, and then 2) sending an on/off signal through the wire to the energizer. We have two systems with the remotes and really like them.

Knife type switch is what I use.
imagesCA420C90.jpg

I put longer plastic handles on mine--got zapped once too often with those little dinky oem handles.

greybeard":fjdk1ign said:
Knife type switch is what I use.
imagesCA420C90.jpg

I put longer plastic handles on mine--got zapped once too often with those little dinky oem handles.

That's what I'm looking for, where can you find those?

Stocker Steve":2ec9b5i6 said:
Aaron":2ec9b5i6 said:
I prefer these kind over others. Have a lot of them around and always adding more.

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Cutout+Switches_detail_MCP.php

This kind holds up better. The rectangular ones above get brittle and tend to break.

Why not use the gate wire as a switch instead?

I dug trenches under all my gates and put underground #10 burial cable so I don't have to screw with thise dang things.

Ol' 243":l8rsl1rw said:
Stocker Steve":l8rsl1rw said:
Aaron":l8rsl1rw said:
I prefer these kind over others. Have a lot of them around and always adding more.

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Cutout+Switches_detail_MCP.php

This kind holds up better. The rectangular ones above get brittle and tend to break.

I dug trenches under all my gates and put underground #10 burial cable so I don't have to screw with thise dang things.
We bury a line under all gates too. That allows the gate to be left open if the pasture is empty and still have the fence hot past that pasture. We use a number of switches to isolate different runs off of the main line. Using a gate as a switch works but if it is open the fence is dead past it. All depends on how the power is distributed and laid out for fencing different areas.

Ol' 243":wfee8lum said:
Stocker Steve":wfee8lum said:

I thought a gate switch was pretty fancy. Some places I just drop the wire and drive over. :shock:

Ol' 243":e974z1k4 said:
Same here, and I ran it in pvc too, but I do still need switches to kill some of the fences. Of course, my relatives that go fishing here always seem to somehow get against the hot wire where it comes up right next to the gate post and ties to the insulated wire from underground. :lol:

dun":3j78u5yy said:
Ol' 243":3j78u5yy said:
Stocker Steve":3j78u5yy said:

We bury a line under all gates too. That allows the gate to be left open if the pasture is empty and still have the fence hot past that pasture. We use a number of switches to isolate different runs off of the main line. Using a gate as a switch works but if it is open the fence is dead past it. All depends on how the power is distributed and laid out for fencing different areas.
I use 1 inch black plastic pipe for a conduit for the insulated wire under ground.Had too many shorts from breakage

JW IN VA":3cswmn3b said:
dun":3cswmn3b said:
Ol' 243":3cswmn3b said:
I use 1 inch black plastic pipe for a conduit for the insulated wire under ground.Had too many shorts from breakage
Since it's so hard to dig a smooth trench here, I use old heavy duty garden hose. Has enough flex to get around the rocks and irregularities. It's held up so far for 15 years without a problem

dun":20dhc3uy said:
JW IN VA":20dhc3uy said:
dun":20dhc3uy said:
Since it's so hard to dig a smooth trench here, I use old heavy duty garden hose. Has enough flex to get around the rocks and irregularities. It's held up so far for 15 years without a problem
I have done that,too.Works.

Latest posts