Electric fence question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hondac

Reaction score
I am needing to run a hot wire from my charger thru about 100 yds of a cedar thicket to where my
electric fence will start. I have a s*** load of awg 15 600 v insulated wire. Would this wire carry the current necessary for my fence? Would it help if I braided 3 or 4 strands together and connected on the ends? Any ideas?

Break down and buy some of the double insulated wire that's made for hotwire. You will probably get a lot of voltage leaks through the insulation of the stuff you have, that will lead ultimatly to breaks in the insulation and shorts/grounds.

I haven;t bought any in about 10 years so I have no idea what it runs now. Check with tractor supply, your local co-op, kencove fenc, or valley vet

It will be hard to find double insulated in runs longer then 100-300 feet. For joining them use a split bolat type of connector. 3M has a tape that is rated at something over 6000 volts, wrap the connection thoroughly with it and it won;t cause problems.

Hondac":2jc8hry3 said:
I am needing to run a hot wire from my charger thru about 100 yds of a cedar thicket to where my
electric fence will start. I have a s*** load of awg 15 600 v insulated wire. Would this wire carry the current necessary for my fence? Would it help if I braided 3 or 4 strands together and connected on the ends? Any ideas?

That wire is rated for 14amps. You only need 100 milliamps or so. Also, you'll burn through the insulation fairly soon.

dun":1gp5n1ef said:
It will be hard to find double insulated in runs longer then 100-300 feet. For joining them use a split bolat type of connector. 3M has a tape that is rated at something over 6000 volts, wrap the connection thoroughly with it and it won;t cause problems.
This is the tpae I was referring to, rated at 69K volts according to the package.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... W0B3T296bl
Any decent electrical supply store sould carry it

Latest posts