Electric Cost to heat Waterer

Help Support CattleToday:

Richardin52

Reaction score
This is my first post so I hope this is the right area to ask my question.

I will be putting in two waterers this summer, one for sheep and one for beef in open housing areas. I need something that is raised up off a cement floor. I have been looking at Richie type waterers. I am in Maine in the mountains so we get plenty of cold, wind and snow. I was wondering if anybody from the northern states, Minn. Mich. etc. that has a Richie or something similar could tell me what they pay to heat one of these per month?

Also if you have a waterer you just love please tell me about it. Like everyone I'm looking for the best waterer for the best price.

Thanks

I only heat one tank and it stays under cover and out of the wind you won't even notice the differance in your bill .

I have 3 Richies with heaters. The heaters with a lot of heat tape on the lines, runs my bill up about 8 bucks a month.

I am in a climate like yours (Wisconsin). Especially in a confined area I would go with a Petersen concrete waterer, They are sturdy as well as reliable and well insulated. The cost to heat in the winter is not significant compared to the cost of having one freeze up, break, come loose, etc.

I have a Pete 34C. I also use Mirafount Big Spring plastics in some pastures for part time use, mostly in the summer. But my main waterer is a Petersen. Which ever waterer you use pour a 4" high raised platform for it about 12" larger than the waterer on all sides. This keeps the waterer cleaner since they will not back up to it and take a dump.

Here is their website: http://www.petersenwaterers.com/secure-petersenwaterers/Scripts/default.asp

No I do not sell them.

Jim

amen SR stock should have water at 40 degrees they'll drink some if it's colder but they don't get what they should .

When you put the water in make sure that the riser pipe casing is a large a diameter as it can be. This will help to keep every thing unfrozen.

As will shelter from the prevailing winds. If it is in an open fronted shed, it helps if it gets the sun on it too.

I would recommend a cobett waterer no heater and very simple. Not sure what the website is just search them. I know a guy with 120 fats on the small on with a float

Latest posts