ele/hyd brakes

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordlover

Reaction score
tell me the good bad any ugly never been around them. looking at new flat beds and trying to decided what way to go. all i know is been aorund alot of ele brakes and they never seen to work after a few years

I've had both and honestly I have had fine luck with both. I have always heard if you don't use electric brakes enough you can have problems, I use mine often and they always work good so idk about that.

What size trailer/axle ratings?
I first had electric over hydraulic in 1997 (40' with 10k axles)and I had alot of trouble with it. I went back to Vacuum over Hydraulic. In 03' ish I got another 40' G.N with 10k axles, it had E/H , improved from 1st experience, but still trouble. Both trailers had the E/H box-master cylinder mounted in front of trailer( both 40'ers).
I now have a 40' with 10k axles and a 48' with 15k axles, both are E/H brakes. Mount the E/H master cylinder as close to the axles as you can. I have mine mounted in small underbody toolbox under the trailer, right in front of the front axle and brakes lines plumbed to the axles from there. Use a quality brake controller and heavy guage wiring harness to the E/H master cylinder under the trailer. I am having good service from the Prodigy p3....just dont use a cheap wal mart one.
My next one will be a Brakesmart Controller, works like the factory controller in new trucks. I loved my Vac/Hyd, brakes and right now this setup I have now works just about as good I would say as the V/H. Only part that I do not like is having to get under the trailer to check brake fluid. My brakes are fast-like an extension of the truck brakes, they are smooth and no "hard hits" like on electric brakes. When I had the E/H master cylinder mounted in the front of trailer, there was a delay in brake action.
I would not use straight electric on 10k axles and up....just my opinion. I know they sell that way, but not for me.

denvermartinfarms":3bmrsk11 said:
I've had both and honestly I have had fine luck with both. I have always heard if you don't use electric brakes enough you can have problems, I use mine often and they always work good so idk about that.

same here

denvermartinfarms":1rdoua9z said:
Seems that around here it isn't that easy to find stuff for vacuum over hydro brakes anymore, there good IMO though.
Back in 04' I set my 1 ton for one last go round on V/H. I had to buy an elect Vac, pump, controller etc. All said and done on the truck side it was 1100.00...and that was the only truck that could pull that trailer. The E/h"s are doing good now and its easy to swapout tow trucks, just need a controller.

saltbranch":1rg8ypvm said:
denvermartinfarms":1rg8ypvm said:
Seems that around here it isn't that easy to find stuff for vacuum over hydro brakes anymore, there good IMO though.
Back in 04' I set my 1 ton for one last go round on V/H. I had to buy an elect Vac, pump, controller etc. All said and done on the truck side it was 1100.00...and that was the only truck that could pull that trailer. The E/h"s are doing good now and its easy to swapout tow trucks, just need a controller.
Ok, that's about how i thought it was now.

Latest posts