Eclipse anyone?

Help Support CattleToday:

karlie45

Reaction score
http://topsires.com/bulls/06bulls/eclipse.html

We are lookin to use this bull on a couple of our shorthorn cows.

We normally use a friends show bull, and we have gotten some pretty good calves. But we need to find something other than those bloodlines or risk inbreeding.

Tried useing Sin City a last year, lost both the cow and calf, dont wanna do that again. (Not due to calving trouble, it was just a freak thing about a week before she was due.)

We like him because he is sired by Sonny. He also has the look and color that we want.

We are also considering salute. http://topsires.com/bulls/06bulls/salute.html

We saw Salutes 'half-sister' (I beleive thats what he is in relationship to her) at the State fair last year and we were really impressed with her.

Anyone used these boys? What did ya think?

They will be used on your average shorthorn show cows, possibly heifers if I like what I plan on learning about calving ease. I would say, medium frame cows. Looking for a 'stockier' show calf with good color. We want more muscle and hair. We also want these calves to be able to produce well and not fall apart.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

One of ours cows had a salute heifer in April. She's really thick and hairy but I would not use him on heifers, she was about 95# when she was born.

Purple Eclipse is PHA carrier. He is TH clean. Haven't seen any calves out of him yet. Sin City and Salute are clean for PHA and TH. My brother used both of them last year and has 5 or 6 calves out of each of them. We both like the Sin City calves best. They were all big when they came. One Salute calf was a C-section at 137 lbs. He used Sin City again, but didn't order any more Salute semen this year.

That being said, I like the looks of the Eclipse bull. If your cows are clean, I would probably try him on them.

If you want to stouten your calves up and put musle and hair on them, I would use Perfect Timing. He is a full sib to X Ray, only he is TH and PHA clean. We have a heifer out of him, and she is good. She was 81 lbs at birth and has just really taken off. I would use him on heifers. I would not use Salute on heifers. He has had some awesome calves, but they are all pretty big. A really good bull that you can use on anything and it will be a good calf is Jake's Proud Jazz. You can breed him to pretty much anything as he is an outcross to basically every popular bloodline out there at the moment.

Latest posts