Easy Winter (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Last year was an unbelievably wonderful year, and this year is starting out well. Calving went great, calves grew amazingly and the cows all went into the fall grazing season in superb shape. At the moment we have only fed a handful of bales and it looks like we will have another 1-2 weeks of grazing before we will have to start feeding. I've never seen the girls in as good condition. Friday we brought the last bunch of cows home from their fall pasture and today we ran them through and gave them their 1st shot of Scour Bos, and Ivomeced them. 97 head went through in less than an hour, then we moved them to their winter pasture where they joined their comrades and will stay til about Mar 1, when they will come home for calving.

Here's some photos from late Dec, before we brought the girls home.

IMG_6488%20800x533_zpsbuiahnwj.jpg

IMG_6469%20800x533_zpsimodhbu3.jpg

IMG_6467%20800x533_zpscedowerd.jpg

IMG_6472%20800x533_zpsspoh5cx6.jpg

IMG_6470%20800x533_zpsvaj6kw6f.jpg

IMG_6473%20800x533_zpsabncexy8.jpg

IMG_6474%20800x533_zps43ll5aa6.jpg

IMG_6477%20800x533_zpssefyfo1u.jpg

if that's what you call "pasture" then those are what I call hearty cattle!

Not any different than the neighbors cattle. Except, ours are now home and theirs are still out there, lol... Actually, they were nearing the end of the grazing on that pasture.

205, she always has that look, she is one of our spookier cows, and she was probably wondering if the truck was after her, lol.

Great pictures. Cows look fat & happy. The mild winter this year sure has been nice. I always think it's quite amazing how long a dry cow can go on good stockpiled grass & stubble grazing, especially when the weather is nice. Not much native grass left around here...seems everybody has to tear everything up and try to grain farm it.

I love the two cows up on the hill in the 6th picture - the white with spots & the roan. Saw some blue roans at a bred sale the beginning of December. Brought way to much for us to justify on a commercial cow ($3000 +), but they sure were beautiful animals.

Thank you for sharing!

I always enjoy your pictures, good looking cattle and country. I will say that your mild looks pretty dang cold from down here in Northwest Florida. We are having our first cold snap of the winter they are actually calling for a freeze tonight. Maybe it will kill off a few of the skeeters.

gizmom

Great looking cattle and beautiful country. I'm not used to seeing that much snow, but your cattle seem to be thriving in it.

Creekdrive, a lot of the native grass is gone here too, but there is some pretty rough country around that is still native. And we live just north of the Grasslands National Park. That native grass sure does make some good fall/winter grazing. This was a pretty awesome year for stockpiling grass! I love my roan cows. I got lucky a couple years back and picked up a handful for $750, they have certainly been money makers!

Gizmom, for us it is really really mild, temps have been mostly hanging around freezing for the last couple months. No skeeters left here though, lol.

Backbone, there's only about 4" of snow in those photos. But I hear some areas of your state got hit pretty hard with the stuff! Not good at all!

Latest posts