Easy way of grafting a calf onto a cow!!

Help Support CattleToday:

JR Cattle Co.

Reaction score
I know many of us have had to bottle feed orphaned calves before :( . I recently had a cow have a calf, but she would not produce milk. :mad: (needless to say she is about to grow wheels and go on permanent vacation). I had purchased another cow last fall, and she calved shortly after I bought her. I sold the calf last saturday, and decided to try and graft the new calf onto her. It only took about one day for the cow to accept the calf. Here is how I did it: I brought the cow up and got her in the headgate, and allowed the calf to suck for a little while. Then,(this might sound gross, but it has always worked for me, something my grandpa taught me a few years back) I took some of the feces from the cows real calf out of the trailer, and rubbed it on the cows nose and a little bit in her nostrils. You can also use Vicks vapor rub, but I found that if at all possible, use the crap, it works alot better. This tricks the cows sense of smell, and in most cases will allow her to bond easier with a calf that either smells like hers, or with one she can't smell at all. Then, I took some table salt and rubbed a bunch of it all over the new calf. This entices the cow to lick the calf and begin to form a bond with it. Once the cow has her saliva and scent on the calf she is more likely to bond with the calf. If u are bottle feeding, which I was for a couple days, only feed 1/4 or half of the bottle. This will make the calf want to look for something to grab ahold of. I then put the cow and calf in a dry stall with hay and water out of sight of the other cows. This allows them to focus on eachother and not the rest of the herd.The next morning I walked out to the barn to see... and the calf was nursing on the cow. She also seemed kind of protective of it. They have bonded very quickly, and a little Vicks, salt, and poopy hands seems to be alot easier and cheaper than bottle feeding, hobbling and trying to make the cow take the calf. By the way, this cow was a mean witch that kicked at every calf that came near her during feeding time. Give it a try it can't hurt.

cool idea, might give it a try some time.
I have a question, how long do you plan on this cow producing milk? She needs time to get ready for her next calf otherwise the next calf is going to be hurting for weight.

RR

rockridgecattle":27ydy8pb said:
cool idea, might give it a try some time.
I have a question, how long do you plan on this cow producing milk? She needs time to get ready for her next calf otherwise the next calf is going to be hurting for weight.
RR
Yeah, was thinking along those lines too. Her production has got to be, at this point, very low ~ even if you suppliment. This calf will hurt for weight as will the cow herself. Are you supplimenting this calf with a bottle as well?

Neat grafting trick ~ makes sense that it would work but I hadn't thought of it.
Thanks!

JR Cattle Co.":3a6tkk1t said:
I know many of us have had to bottle feed orphaned calves before :( . I recently had a cow have a calf, but she would not produce milk. :mad: (needless to say she is about to grow wheels and go on permanent vacation). I had purchased another cow last fall, and she calved shortly after I bought her. I sold the calf last saturday, and decided to try and graft the new calf onto her. It only took about one day for the cow to accept the calf. Here is how I did it: I brought the cow up and got her in the headgate, and allowed the calf to suck for a little while. Then,(this might sound gross, but it has always worked for me, something my grandpa taught me a few years back) I took some of the feces from the cows real calf out of the trailer, and rubbed it on the cows nose and a little bit in her nostrils. You can also use Vicks vapor rub, but I found that if at all possible, use the crap, it works alot better. This tricks the cows sense of smell, and in most cases will allow her to bond easier with a calf that either smells like hers, or with one she can't smell at all. Then, I took some table salt and rubbed a bunch of it all over the new calf. This entices the cow to lick the calf and begin to form a bond with it. Once the cow has her saliva and scent on the calf she is more likely to bond with the calf. If u are bottle feeding, which I was for a couple days, only feed 1/4 or half of the bottle. This will make the calf want to look for something to grab ahold of. I then put the cow and calf in a dry stall with hay and water out of sight of the other cows. This allows them to focus on eachother and not the rest of the herd.The next morning I walked out to the barn to see... and the calf was nursing on the cow. She also seemed kind of protective of it. They have bonded very quickly, and a little Vicks, salt, and poopy hands seems to be alot easier and cheaper than bottle feeding, hobbling and trying to make the cow take the calf. By the way, this cow was a mean witch that kicked at every calf that came near her during feeding time. Give it a try it can't hurt.

What also helps is if you milk the cow out and basically bath the calf in the cows milk, make sure you get the hindend of the calf very wet with the cows milk, that way the salt will stick better.

Just don't get overconfident, sooner or later you'll come across a cow that will allow the calf to suckle while you're standing next to her, but kick the crap out of it as soon as you walk away. I had one a few years ago, after standing next to the cow with the calf suckling for 10 weeks I decided the calf is old enough to steal off other cows and got rid of the cow, the calf did fine, he must have been a good thief.

How did you decide which pile of poop belonged to her calf :?: :lol:
:lol2: I had cleaned the trailer out the day before I took the calf to the sale, it was the only poo in the trailer.
The calf I sold was born december 1st, but was very big for his age (502 lbs.). The cow is in really good condition (a little fat), and the calf is being supplemented with a bottle. He is being introduced to Calf Manna, but is still not interested. As soon as he takes to feed, he will be weaned from the cow.

My nephew worked for a guy that raised cattle. He was trying to graft a calf so he made him watch the cow until she was ready to poop. Then he had him run in and stick his hand in to catch some. I dont know if he was just doing this to "initiate" my nephew but he said it could not touch the ground or it would not work. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts