East Tx Pasture Rehab for horses / cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

WLKRTXRNGR

Reaction score
Trying to bring back the grass from a neglected overgrown weed / thorn 10 acre pasture between Crockett and Palestine TX. Part of 80 acres that is mostly timber...

Mowed it all down last fall.

My plan is to Lime 1 ton per acre now. Wait about a month and disc and roll. Plant coastal and fertilize once it starts coming up. This is what has been suggested. I am a rookie at this so all thoughts, adjustments and suggestions from experts appreciated!

My goal is to have something to put a few horses / cattle on...

Thanks!

I assume you got a soil test to tell you how much lime and fertilizer you need? And you'll likely need to spray for weeds. Other than that it looks to me like you're on the right track.

As the others have said, get the soil test now. How do you know if you need 1 ton of lime? You might need more, you might need less (but I doubt it considering your location I am about 75 miles up Hwy 19 from you). Pay particular attention to potassium levels for bermuda production. Be prepared to spray for weeds once the bermuda is up and growing.

BC":34pmc3w0 said:
As the others have said, get the soil test now. How do you know if you need 1 ton of lime? You might need more, you might need less (but I doubt it considering your location I am about 75 miles up Hwy 19 from you). Pay particular attention to potassium levels for bermuda production. Be prepared to spray for weeds once the bermuda is up and growing.
A ton per acre of lime is usually a good starting point for that part of the state. GEt the Grazon outand be ready to spray millions of goat weeds and thistles too.

Can't thank you all enough for your thoughts and advice - really appreciate it. Yes, I had the soil tested in Oct and then had it mowed down. Recommended 1 ton per acre.

Been better if you had mowed it down before the goatweed and other crap had a chance to seed out. I don't know how many little black seeds is in each individual wooly pod on a goatweed, but it's got to be hundreds and hundreds for each mature plant.
I saw an ad the other day, for goatweed (wooly croton) seed--$7/lb. I was rich in 2011, and just didn't know it.

My place is 7 miles outside of Crockett off Hwy 19. Goat weeds are always a significant challenge in this area also. I've had the most success with weed killer early spring I believe we have been using a product called banvel.

Latest posts