Early Winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
The humminbirds are already gathering up to migrate here. This is about three weeks early this year.
Their here by the hundreds right now then it will go to thousands and poof one morning there gone till next year.

Those of us out west are praying for snow. There are so many fires going, most uncontrolled. A lot of them will be burning until the snow flies. Praying for an early winter.

Caustic Burno":1j45dyzf said:
The humminbirds are already gathering up to migrate here. This is about three weeks early this year.
Their here by the hundreds right now then it will go to thousands and poof one morning there gone till next year.
I've been mowing up leaves in the yard for a couple of weeks now and grass in the yard appears to be going sort of dormant as well. Even got a few hummingbirds which we hadn't had all year.

Have been seeing large flocks of birds flying around lately, thought that looked like fall of the year. Then this afternoon was out patching on some fence and saw some golden rod starting to bloom. Older folks here used to say that when golden rod was in bloom it was 6 weeks till frost.

I have noticed the woolly worms have a lot of black on their tail end around here.

We still have all of the hummers we usually do, but the squirrels have really been busy. Wife and I just commented on that today.

Caustic Burno":1xwry5mt said:

Funny you posted this, as this morning, I was wondering what's going on with the hummers. I haven't seen much activity in the last few days. A straggler here and there on Friday. Usually there are still quite a few left here, at this time.

I was going to ask you if you were getting the usual throngs of hummers yet. Then I see this post.

Ky hills":2ucu82j6 said:
Have been seeing large flocks of birds flying around lately, thought that looked like fall of the year. Then this afternoon was out patching on some fence and saw some golden rod starting to bloom. Older folks here used to say that when golden rod was in bloom it was 6 weeks till frost.

If that's the case, then we're in for it! Golden Rod started blooming, in places around here, almost 2 weeks ago. :shock: Which I thought was a bit early. I don't usually see much of it in August.

It's supposed to be in the upper 50's here tonight. I'm bringing all my cattle up close to the house so the polar bears don't get them.

Latest posts