Early morning...

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
Well I think that I may have lost my early morning helper.
We have a gap under one of the side sliding doors that is large enough to allow a fat quail to make it's way into the barn.
On her day off Susie, my bride, usually likes to sleep in, except on black friday when she went shopping before dawn...anyway last Monday, for some unknown reason she took it upon herself to get up and go out and feed with me. I enjoyed the company and being the gentleman that I am I opened the door for her and allowed her to enter the barn first.
Well just our luck that a covey of fat quail picked that night to take up roost in the barn...Susie went in, flipped the light switch on and thought that the angles were going to take her home...the birds lit off the rafters with all the squawking and flapping you could immangine, Susie turned around and bolted
thinking that she was under attack by forces unknown...right over me like a cow that just heard her new calf squeel. Don't know why I thought that this was the funniest thing that I had ever been involved with but all I could do was lay in the snow laughing. Took a minute but after she absorbed the moment, she started laughing to...all the way back to the house. So much for looking forward to any more early morning help.
A look at our life together...thought I'd share.
Dave Mc

:lol: :lol: :lol: that is pretty funny. at least you got a good laugh right away to start the morning out right.

*glad i could spell laugh, too. sheesh. :roll: :oops: *

Why is it that when us women get the crap scared out of us, the men laugh? Yesterday I went to the feed store and the guy that gets the feed for ya seen me coming and banged on my trunk, well he scared the H*ll outta me, I though I had ran over someone, I get out and he see's my face almost falls over from laughing so hard, well I was about to hit him but I was also laughing to hard.
Damn Men. :lol:

This reminds me of the time we all got a good laugh at my aunt's expense. I was in upper grade school or maybe Jr. High at the time. We were filling silo at my Grandpa's. My two youngest uncles farmed with Grandpa at the time. The silos are located out in the cattle lot and it was mid-afternoon. My youngest aunt (about 20), who was not raised on a livestock farm, was bringing us some cool water to drink. I love her dearly, but she is a little high-strung to begin with. The only problem she encountered were the 35-40 head of 600# steers that were also in the same lot as we were. She had to walk about 125 yards across the lot to where we were. She started so well, too.
She climbed over the fence and just walked through them like a pro. The first 25-30 yards, she did fine. But the first time she looked back over her shoulder at the steers that had decided to "follow" her, we knew it was going to go down hill fast. At first she just increased her walk. Well, the steers thought they should too. If she had just never look back she would have been okay. Then she was trotting towards us and asking for a little help. We all knew what was going to happen and all we could do was to laugh (and that didn't help!). By now, she was running as fast as she could and screaming bloody murder. The steers were right behind her, just kicking up their heels and having a grand ol' time. By the time she got to us with the water jug, we were all laughing so hard we weren't thirsty anymore. And for some reason she could see no humor in the whole thing. Girls??????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great story! One you will laugh about for years to come! Wonder if she will go feed with you anymore... ?

During a lull at calving time, Honey and I went over to have a beer with the Neighbours one evening. Of course, being around the end of March, it was pretty dark out by eight o clock.

Anyway, Mr. Neighbour and Honey went out to check Neighbour's cows together (and probably pee on the tractor tires).

Mr. Neighbour came back inside roaring with laughter at Honey. Seems that their Sim cows were pretty quiet, some even downright friendly.

One of them took such a shine to Honey, that she walked up behind him and gave him a big ol' lick up the back of his coat.

Well, poor Honey was hair-triggered by then, as some of the cows that were new to us were the kind that like to 'reach out and touch someone until they assume the fetal position'.

Three weeks of calving out those 'gentle' beasts and lack of sleep made for a most spectacular display when that cow of Mr. Neighbour's gave him a smooch.

Apparantly, Honey bolted like a quarter-horse out of the gate, leapt single-handedly over the six-foot fence and didn't slow down for a hundred yards.

Hee hee. Poor guy had a tough time living down the fact that he'd run for his life from Neighbours' kid's old 4H project cow.

moo.jpg

Take care.

Latest posts