Ear tagging

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I am picking up 2 angus heifers soon. They are out of registered stock so I will be registering them. They do not have ear tags. If I end up showing them, is it ok to tag them with whatever numbering system I want? I guess what I'm asking is this: is it ok to ear tag show animals? I'm completely new to showing livestock.

I am picking up 2 angus heifers soon. They are out of registered stock so I will be registering them. They do not have ear tags. If I end up showing them, is it ok to tag them with whatever numbering system I want? I guess what I'm asking is this: is it ok to ear tag show animals? I'm completely new to showing livestock.
You can have whatever tags you want in the ring.

Attachments

• 06BCB759-4354-417E-8F0C-0F517E05C6D0.jpeg
    06BCB759-4354-417E-8F0C-0F517E05C6D0.jpeg
    838.7 KB · Views: 7
  • AFBA3493-26E8-4B5A-BC51-AA0AE5BC7EBD.jpeg
    AFBA3493-26E8-4B5A-BC51-AA0AE5BC7EBD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Actually, that depends on where you're going to be showing. In almost all cases, yes, ear tags are fine. But there are a few shows that are starting to ban anything other than the official show tag. It's mostly a market animal thing, but some shows are implementing it across the board. It's mostly an effort to limit the perception that ear tags from certain breeders or brokers could be an advantage (with certain judges)...

Tattoo's are where you need to stick with your breed association's specific numbering systems.

If anything, I'd probably recommend not using the largest tag a company sells nor a particularly wild color.
The second size down and a common color like yellow, green, orange, white, etc would be my guess. The thought being not to draw attention to the tag instead of the animal.
My .02 at a 50 per cent discount.:)

If anything, I'd probably recommend not using the largest tag a company sells nor a particularly wild color.
The second size down and a common color like yellow, green, orange, white, etc would be my guess. The thought being not to draw attention to the tag instead of the animal.
My .02 at a 50 per cent discount.:)
I chose green tags, a step down from the largest. I numbered starting with the first two digits as the year and the last as what calf was born first. An example is I had two heifers born last June and July. June calf is 201, July is 202. Then from there I'm keeping record of tag # with actual birthdate.

Latest posts