Dwarf herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

RefugeRanch

Reaction score
I believe I have three dwarf herefords. What should be done with these cattle?

Thank you

Either sterilize them them and make pets (hard to housebreak) or eat them.

ANAZAZI":164juekk said:
Baldie Maker":164juekk said:
Are they from registered stock?

Who cares! (oops, did I say that out loud? :oops: )
The only reason it would matter is that it could show an undersierable gene combination.

The cattle I am talking of are 26 months old and probably weigh in around 400 lbs. on the high side. From a feed standpoint they are only on pasture and baled hay in the winter. I don't believe it is related to feed because my other calves are growing just fine. I bought them from a local friend who raises several herefords for the show areana. I am assuming they are from registered stock knowing this gentleman. I probably should have caught this much sooner. With time comes learning. Should I let this gentleman know ?

Thanks for your assistance.

RefugeRanch":3mr99l5d said:
The cattle I am talking of are 26 months old and probably weigh in around 400 lbs. on the high side. From a feed standpoint they are only on pasture and baled hay in the winter. I don't believe it is related to feed because my other calves are growing just fine. I bought them from a local friend who raises several herefords for the show areana. I am assuming they are from registered stock knowing this gentleman. I probably should have caught this much sooner. With time comes learning. Should I let this gentleman know ?
Thanks for your assistance.

yes

Are they maybe supposed to be miniature Herefords? I still think that's too small for them though

Being new to cattle everything on their bodies seems to be proportionate. The stock they came from were all full size grown cattle. Still safe to eat though?

Thanks for your help.

RefugeRanch":ip1gxwak said:
Being new to cattle everything on their bodies seems to be proportionate. The stock they came from were all full size grown cattle. Still safe to eat though?

Thanks for your help.
They'll be fine to eat

how did you acquire these or maybe more importantly how did he acquire them. how were they passed off to you? when did you become suspicious about them? could you post some pics?

First time I saw a small hereford was back in 1987'. We were in FFA showing beef. My buddy who was 6'4" tall was showing an 8 month 32" heifer. We went to the regional state show and he was the only calf in his division, and he got 3rd place. They didn't look well together. We ribbed him pretty good, but we took it on to state finals anyway. He looked like he was leading a little fat dog.
Since then I bought a cheap calf, a heifer, when purchasing some other calves that were a little older, and I knew she was small but I thought she would grow out of it. Wrong, I paid $200 for her at 3 months old, sold her for like $220 at auction at 10 months. She was a hereford influence.
However this year I had one heifer that I kept to raise that I noticed at 16 months wasn't gonna make the cut, I sold her and her little brother and made only $40 more on her than her steered little brother. She was a Black Angus influenced and he was a hereford influenced.
So what I am saying is this, don't let any breed dictate the chance of a dwarf, it's natural and you just have to watch for it. I would look for the signs. If you buy from an individual look at all the calves, don't pick the smaller ones. Get calves with extra weight on them. Or better yet, buy bred cows about 4-6yrs old. I look for feminine, gentle cows, that have a calm disposition.
I hope you didn't spend too much on them, but I would definitely cull them. You don't want any hang ups when it comes to finally trying to calf. Maybe you can break even and start over, good luck! :santa:

I knew a family that raise reg. herefords for show. I also knew a guy that bought a bull from them as a calf to show. It never got very big. I think it was the difference in feeding. The seller in this instance fed their herd like milk cows. Lots of hay,silage and ground feed, lots of it. The buyer only fed hay and a small amount of grain.

tsmaxx47":2wm1qbjh said:
how did you acquire these or maybe more importantly how did he acquire them. how were they passed off to you? when did you become suspicious about them? could you post some pics?

We have friend that as I stated earlier raises show cattle. I would guess that he has 30 - 35 cows, two very nice looking bulls and steers. These calves came right out of his show cattle stock. Now I call them show cattle only because I know that he and his family have traveled to different parts of the country bringing a select few. When I purchased these from him I purchased four...two steers and two heifers. Of the four one of the two steers is considerably larger than all of the rest. I will try to get a few pictures and include in the near future. Maybe it is poor feed quality??? Again we only do grass feed. I guess that I have noticed over the last year that they were slow growing. Probably not as concerned as I should have been only because my children and I have enjoyed them so, that timely growth was not a priority.

I appreciate your comments.

Latest posts