Duramax Shocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Back then I drove one 10 years before I traded. I might have kept that 1/2 ton a little longer but I was catering and hauling a 16' trailer loaded with food and supplies. It was too much for it when loaded and I was afraid it'd leave me stranded on the way to an event. Duramax seemed to be the ticket so that's what I got. With the little hauling I do now I can still justify hanging on to it.

True Grit Farms":1p4jhgjs said:
jedstivers":1p4jhgjs said:
slick4591":1p4jhgjs said:
I'd almost bet that it's been better than 30 years since I bought shocks for a vehicle. Seemed like I always traded before they needed them. Last truck I had was a 1/2 ton Silverado with 110,000 and they were still good. Before that I drove a Jeep Cherokee that the shocks felt like new ones the day I traded it.
I usually trade every two years but last fall it was going to cost to much so I kept mine. I bet I spend every dime in repairs I would have spent trading. Or more I bet.

Seems like most folks that don't drive Ram - Dodge trucks have to trade or drive junk after a few years. A GM truck with a Duramax is not a long term farm and ranch work truck. When a GM truck is new it's the best riding most comfortable truck on the market. The maintenance that our GM Duramax requires to keep it going on "True Grit Farms" is terrible, but compared to spending $55k for a new truck it's still cheap.
Last set of shocks I bought were for a 1976 Ford 250.......pos.......
Next truck was 3/4 ton 81 chevy. 1993 I bought a 91 half ton chevy from my Uncles estate. Traded that for my last new vehicle, a 1998 3/4 chevy. Next in 2005 I got the 2003 Duramax. Has ~159,000 miles on. Its been just a farm truck since 2014 when I bought the 2004 Tundra. Bought it to alleviate repair costs and to avoid the price of a replacement in a few years. Course I am finding myself beginning to get an itch for replacing the Toy.

1982vett":3rny9el7 said:
True Grit Farms":3rny9el7 said:
jedstivers":3rny9el7 said:
I usually trade every two years but last fall it was going to cost to much so I kept mine. I bet I spend every dime in repairs I would have spent trading. Or more I bet.

Seems like most folks that don't drive Ram - Dodge trucks have to trade or drive junk after a few years. A GM truck with a Duramax is not a long term farm and ranch work truck. When a GM truck is new it's the best riding most comfortable truck on the market. The maintenance that our GM Duramax requires to keep it going on "True Grit Farms" is terrible, but compared to spending $55k for a new truck it's still cheap.
Next truck was 3/4 ton 81 chevy. 1993 I bought a 91 half ton chevy from my Uncles estate. Traded that for my last new vehicle, a 1998 3/4 chevy. Next in 2005 I got the 2003 Duramax. Has ~159,000 miles on. Its been just a farm truck since 2014 when I bought the 2004 Tundra. Bought it to alleviate repair costs and to avoid the price of a replacement in a few years. Course I am finding myself beginning to get an itch for replacing the Toy.
I always liked the old ford trucks,,but they used the heck out gas...nothing you'd want to rodeo out of... Bout spent my entry fee money buying gas on the way...

ALACOWMAN":jh1yj8iz said:
1982vett":jh1yj8iz said:
I always liked the old ford trucks,,but they used the heck out gas...nothing you'd want to rodeo out of... Bout spent my entry fee money buying gas on the way...
Bout 8 miles to the gallon is my recollection and 40 cents a gallon.

1982vett":uvdwtdpv said:
ALACOWMAN":uvdwtdpv said:
1982vett":uvdwtdpv said:

That must of been running light. My 74 F250 was 5 mpg towing.

True Grit Farms":2fb3d6se said:
jedstivers":2fb3d6se said:
slick4591":2fb3d6se said:
I'd almost bet that it's been better than 30 years since I bought shocks for a vehicle. Seemed like I always traded before they needed them. Last truck I had was a 1/2 ton Silverado with 110,000 and they were still good. Before that I drove a Jeep Cherokee that the shocks felt like new ones the day I traded it.

That is total non-sense and the exact opposite of what the fleet guys will tell you.

True Grit Farms":4ydktcm7 said:
1982vett":4ydktcm7 said:
ALACOWMAN":4ydktcm7 said:

That must of been running light. My 74 F250 was 5 mpg towing.
Your probably tight on the towing. I know it wasn't a whole lot. :nod:

Brute 23":1psxqqdc said:
True Grit Farms":1psxqqdc said:
jedstivers":1psxqqdc said:

That is total non-sense and the exact opposite of what the fleet guys will tell you.

I can't speak for south Texas, but from Louisiana east to Georgia and north to Montana and then back east to Maine, the majority of folks hot shotting and towing for a living are doing so with Dodge or Ram trucks. And the majority of small wreckers are Ram trucks also.

True Grit Farms":ti017zhw said:
Brute 23":ti017zhw said:
True Grit Farms":ti017zhw said:

I can't speak for south Texas, but from Louisiana east to Georgia and north to Montana and then back east to Maine, the majority of folks hot shotting and towing for a living are doing so with Dodge or Ram trucks. And the majority of small wreckers are Ram trucks also.

It used to be like that here. Not any more. Dodge burned too many bridges.

Dodge has always been the rodeo cowboys trucks around here. They pull fancy aluminum trailers up and down the highways. The true, working, farmers and ranchers drive Ford or Chevy.

True Grit Farms":35jr38no said:
jedstivers":35jr38no said:
slick4591":35jr38no said:

I saw what a dodge can do on this farm. I'd be trading. Every year or less with one of them.
I have a 10 duramax with 225,000 on the farm. It isn't bad for maintaince but it's not driven like mine.
Mine has to go every day all day and I hate changing trucks to send mine in for work. That's why it like trading every two years. I'm on crop 3 with mine now though. Don't know if I'll trade this winter or not. Will depend on the crop.

The Bilstein Monotubes finally came in and my cheapest mechanic (step-son) installed them last night. Man what a difference! I initially said they were feeling a little mushy, well, when he got the front ones off they wouldn't expand. Guess I got all the good out of them I could. For even better news he found my ball joints were on the way out, too. Guess I'll be breaking open the piggy bank.

slick4591":3jmbtujo said:
The Bilstein Monotubes finally came in and my cheapest mechanic (step-son) installed them last night. Man what a difference! I initially said they were feeling a little mushy, well, when he got the front ones off they wouldn't expand. Guess I got all the good out of them I could. For even better news he found my ball joints were on the way out, too. Guess I'll be breaking open the piggy bank.

We've rebuilt the front end back to new on our Duramax and it cost us about $1k with no labor. We didn't put shocks on it though.

Same here, the " ranchers" drive dodge (Cummins) and the farmers run ford and Chevy.

Fyi in our area farmers are usually upward of 2000 acres and ranchers have about 10 head lol.

Latest posts