Coolant leak 2006 duramax

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Low coolant leak displayed on my 2006 duramax today. So I am thinking head gasket. Has anyone experienced this. Ballpark figure to have it fixed. Thanks in advanced, engine has 201,000 miles on it.

I'd check the rad, heater hoses, heater core, EGR cooler, and all that stuff before I go tearing into the engine.. Don't know the specific truck though

does the oil have coolant in it?

You could try some leak fix.. get those little aluminum balls.. its a little tube.. at napa.

Water pump is my guess, very common problem. 5 1/2 hours shop time to change a water pump on a Duramax. A good mechanic can do it in less than half the time. Probably be around $600 complete.

papavillars":2kep9189 said:
Low coolant leak displayed on my 2006 duramax today. So I am thinking head gasket. Has anyone experienced this. Ballpark figure to have it fixed. Thanks in advanced, engine has 201,000 miles on it.

I'd start looking at the easier parts that were already mentioned, water pump, heater hoses, radiator, etc.

You can borrow a block tester from most parts stores that will sniff the coolant and tell you if there's a head gasket problem. It holds liquid that turns colors when contacted with combustion gases.

Stop leak is not a good idea if you value the truck.

Have someone pressure the cooling system. Good chance it is the radiator. I have the problem with a Chevy 2005 2500 HD gas burner I thought it was the coolant overflow tank and went by a mechanics place that I use to install the new tank. He pressured the system and told me the radiator was leaking.

True Grit Farms":2mhvtejw said:
Water pump is my guess, very common problem. 5 1/2 hours shop time to change a water pump on a Duramax. A good mechanic can do it in less than half the time. Probably be around $600 complete.

When I stopped up my heater core, it was the water pump like True Grit says. Have you noticed the coolant leaking out?