Dumb question about grass seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohrmundt Simmentals

Reaction score
So I want overseed a few thin spots in one of my pastures. I've been looking at a few mixes at the local places. One caught my eye mostly since it was a little less expensive. It's Annual Ryegrass, Tall Fescue, and Perennial Ryegrass. It does not show the specific variety of seed. So the part I asking about is this mix is packaged as a contractors lawn seed mix and would it even be worth getting and trying just use for a little over seeding. I know last year the label had the varieties on it and the Fescue was Fawn. Now they could have changed it. So what your thoughts on this? Thanks

What I do works for me. I will tell you those mixes tend to have more of grass that is not as good z fescue. Personally I would buy ky31 overseed that or repairs. I would this time of year also plant annual ryegrass.

BC":1jygb3vs said:
Sounds like a lawn mix instead of a pasture mix. Grasses have been developed for specific uses.

It does but strangely enough I have seen mixtures like that at a farm supply store. I still say its nothing like fescue if it grows in your area. I will plant rye in the winter because cows like it but perennial rye in my pasture no.

The annual rye is for quick germination and early growth, the fescue for long term. Perennial rye is a filler, something to fill in the fescue till it can spread out. Pretty useless really. You might be better off just mixing some annual and some fescue toghter and seeding it, should be cheaper in the long run

Stay away from fawn, it is a old variety that is not palatable. Cows and sheep avoid it. Perennial ryegrass will not stick around up here without 5% or more organic matter and perfect snow cover. I have had luck spreading meadow fescue and having it take hold.

Thanks all for the feedback. I just happened to see it and got curious. This particular pasture has ok amount of clover so I wouldn't just trying to get straight fescue in to it. Might be to late in the year to try it yet but still might try.

Latest posts