dumb bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I am going on day 3 with a dumb bull calf. Usually they are the big ones I have trouble with, and I usually have them going the next day. Not this one! And he was only #63. I think maybe a little early? I tubed him colostrum when he was 2 hrs old, and have been milking mom every four hours since then. (my milking skills suck!) On day 2 he figured out how to suck the bottle, but still has no clue with mom. I get a tit in his mouth and he takes a few sucks, looses the tit, then stands there like a dummy till I put it in his mouth again, or if I leave him he goes and lays down. I am getting, no, I AM frustrated! :help: Anything else I can try, or should I just keep at this the way I'm going?

Dee":37qywvqu said:
I am going on day 3 with a dumb bull calf. Usually they are the big ones I have trouble with, and I usually have them going the next day. Not this one! And he was only #63. I think maybe a little early? I tubed him colostrum when he was 2 hrs old, and have been milking mom every four hours since then. (my milking skills suck!) On day 2 he figured out how to suck the bottle, but still has no clue with mom. I get a tit in his mouth and he takes a few sucks, looses the tit, then stands there like a dummy till I put it in his mouth again, or if I leave him he goes and lays down. I am getting, no, I AM frustrated! :help: Anything else I can try, or should I just keep at this the way I'm going?

Dee I have had dummies that never figured out what mom was for, they would suck the dew lap everything but a teat. Raised em up big enough on a bucket and sold them.

Dee":3ue9h3ls said:

You're on day 3...get some really, really good milk replacer and feed it with a bottle. You discovered the bottle worked, the calf has had 2+ days for mother's milk/colostrum...you're sick to death of milking mother. Make the calf a bottle baby and go from there.

Alice

Alice":214yi6jq said:
Dee":214yi6jq said:

You're on day 3...get some really, really good milk replacer and feed it with a bottle. You discovered the bottle worked, the calf has had 2+ days for mother's milk/colostrum...you're sick to death of milking mother. Make the calf a bottle baby and go from there.

Alice

I don't know Alice. I've had them get strong enough to suck mama in about a week or two.

I'll do most anything to keep from having to feed a bottle calf on milk replacer. They just ain't the same.

Ain't nothing like mamas milk. And I'm good at hand milking cows too.......I knew that dairy experience was gonna pay someday. ;-)

MikeC":wtb22pbx said:
Alice":wtb22pbx said:
Dee":wtb22pbx said:

Alice

I don't know Alice. I've had them get strong enough to suck mama in about a week or two.

I'll do most anything to keep from having to feed a bottle calf on milk replacer. They just ain't the same.

Ain't nothing like mamas milk. And I'm good at hand milking cows too.......I knew that dairy experience was gonna pay someday. ;-)

No, they're not the same...I agree with that.

Dee, if you wanna keep milking mother and feeding the calf and trying to get it to take mother cow's teat, heck yeah!

Now, for my problem...buying a calf at the sale barn that hasn't had a "fake" nipple it its mouth and trying to get it to take a bottle. Unless it takes a bottle in between the time the sales are going on...Monday, Wednesday, and Friday...then it stays. If it doesn't, it goes. I figure somebody with more experience than me can deal with it. I'll tube it until sale day...then...it's gone.

Alice

Dee":1sw1cgie said:

Let him go over night without feeding him. Once he gets hungry that little lightbulb probably will click in. As long as he is strong enough to go that long without food, and it sounds to me like he is. Leave him in with mama, and he will probably have it figured out by morning.

Dee":2xg65b9f said:

It could be a case of he's used to the bottle nipple, and Mom's tit doesn't have the same consistency or feel. I would try cutting down the amount of milk you're feeding per sitting - just give him enough to get him going good - then switch him to Mom. A few times of this just might do the trick!

i agree with the folks that say feed him enough to make him strong, then let him go hungry and see what happens.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I disagree with letting him go hungry simply because it can lead to scours in a calf this age. I mean no disrespect to Dee, but it doesn't sound like she is experienced enough to be able to easily handle scours. Plus it would sure be better for the calf if the transition could be made without having to treat for scours.

Day 5 and "Mr. Smarty" has discovered the cow has two ends, one of which gives milk! I looked back at her calving record, and her lightest calf was #78 when she was a heifer. This was her 5th, so at that weight I think he was a preemie.
Msscamp, I vaccinate with Scour Bos, and have only had trouble a few times, and usually treated with all natural scour bouleses (sp) made by my vet. Knock on wood!

Latest posts