Dumb bull calf UPDATE!!

Help Support CattleToday:

deaconcreek

Reaction score
Thanks to all the help here, I am happy to say that our calf is back with mom. She was VERY happy to see him, he is eating and bouncing (literaly) around the barn yard. Keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well. Didn't even have to tie mom up, took the calf outside hungry, he let all a bawl and she came running. Also I got some BoSe to keep on hand for the next one. Thank you to everyone. So happy that all went well. :D :D :D :D

Sometimes the cows that try to kill you when you take the calf can come in handy for when you take them back. Just watch yourself with her. She may decide you are trying to steal him again.

She is worse now then the first day he was born, she really acts like she wants to stomp a mud hole in my a$$ now. Not sure he is getting enough to eat, mom may have dried up some, plus he only goes to one teat that doesn't help. I took him out a bottle of milk replacer and he came right over and drank it down. Me leaning over the gate of course.... :D Almost getting run over was enough for me, so we paly it safe. Is it ok that I supplemented him, he was nursing and just didn't seem like he was getting enough.

:lol: My nieghbor raises Gelvbichs. This past spring I would
see him drive up to the gate across from my house, get out,
bottle in hand and wait for the calf to come bouncing over the
hill for his meal. Mom was short in the milk department but the calf nursed both she and the bottle. :p Calf did fine! It was
fun to see this middle aged cattle man feeding the calf through
the fence. :clap:

Normally I would suggest trying to milk out the cow to find out how much milk she actually has but in this case since that might get you killed I wouldn't attempt it. I'm sorry you probably said in your other post but how long has it been since you took the calf from the mother? Sometimes sucking will bring the milk back in. I wouldn't let the calf go too hungry though. I think I would make him try to get from his mom but supplement him if he gets really hungry and watch carefully his eating habits and her bag. Any other cows that would let him steal from them?

He was off mom for almost 4 days. Her udder still looks full, but he is only nursing off one quarter. It is filling back up, but he seems like he is not getting enough. If mom wasn't such a #$#$ I would help him find the other three teats, but since we have our chute tore down that is not an option. I fed him two bottles yesterday, and have seen him also nurse off mom. If this is what we have to do then it's what we have to do. I would much rather fed him a bottle twice a day to keep him strong and let mom do the raising. Atleast he comes right to me much to mothers dismay, so I don't have to go in and get him and risk mom's rath. If he was getting enough from mom, then he wouldn't take the bottle IMO, so he must be hungry. I did see him trying to nibble hay with mom and pasture should be greening up next month. How long till his rumen starts to work? Other cows a due at the end of the month, maybe they will let him steal from then, till then I'll keep supplimented.

deaconcreek":2153h8qi said:
He was off mom for almost 4 days. Her udder still looks full, but he is only nursing off one quarter. It is filling back up, but he seems like he is not getting enough. If mom wasn't such a #$#$ I would help him find the other three teats, but since we have our chute tore down that is not an option. I fed him two bottles yesterday, and have seen him also nurse off mom. If this is what we have to do then it's what we have to do. I would much rather fed him a bottle twice a day to keep him strong and let mom do the raising. Atleast he comes right to me much to mothers dismay, so I don't have to go in and get him and risk mom's rath. If he was getting enough from mom, then he wouldn't take the bottle IMO, so he must be hungry. I did see him trying to nibble hay with mom and pasture should be greening up next month. How long till his rumen starts to work? Other cows a due at the end of the month, maybe they will let him steal from then, till then I'll keep supplimented.

Takes 21 days for rumen to develope. :drink: :drink: :drink:

deaconcreek":uzw1or2c said:

Since he is getting something the milk should come back, the more he sucks the better it should come in. I'm not saying starve him so he will suck but don't be too quick with the bottle either, get him trying to bring in her milk. Good luck! Sounds like all is going pretty well.

at four days old he is only nursing one quarter then he is not very hungry unless her teats are to big. when he gets where he is hungry enough he will move on to the others. i have a little heifer out of a half holstein cow and she only nursed one. my son milked the other three quarters and got a gallon and a half the first day, and a gallon the next week everyday. i found another calf for the cow to raise.

He has found the other three teats and has refused the bottle last night and this morning. So all is going well. He is bouncing around the barn yard and seems to be doing great :D Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts