Ducks

Help Support CattleToday:

smartin0022

Reaction score
We had a good day for us. Price per pound of meat is about $30-60 per lbs but who can put a # on fun. Popping bands from, Ontario Canada too.

Attachments

• IMG_3963.jpg
    IMG_3963.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 20
  • View rece(4).jpg
    View rece(4).jpg
    360 KB · Views: 20
  • 20221226_123933.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 13
We had a good day for us. Price per pound of meat is about $30-60 per lbs but who can put a # on fun. Popping bands from, Ontario Canada too.
Wow! That brings back memories! A lot of Canada's with pit and decoys. I think pass shooting Bluebills was the my biggest challenge.
Great pictures, We won't talk about the effort it takes!

Wow! That brings back memories! A lot of Canada's with pit and decoys. I think pass shooting Bluebills was the my biggest challenge.
Great pictures, We won't talk about the effort it takes!
We chopped ice for 1 and a half hours just to be able to get the boats in the river.

So tell us about these bands. Who does it and how many a year? The hunters that hunt my place speak of them but the only one I have heard about was shot by the outfitter that leases my place a couple years ago. He didn't shoot it here but on a ranch some 20 miles north of me.

Usually the feds or state wildlife departments put the metal bands on the feet / legs of ducks to do research on travel patterns of ducks . There is a # you can call to find out where it was caught and banded . My double banded mallard is rare . The double band is a reward band ; paid to insure you'll report where the duck was killed .

So tell us about these bands. Who does it and how many a year? The hunters that hunt my place speak of them but the only one I have heard about was shot by the outfitter that leases my place a couple years ago. He didn't shoot it here but on a ranch some 20 miles north of me.
CoachG answered most of the ? But about 200,000 ducks and 100,000 geese are banded every year. It's kinda like a trophy buck to most hunters. Status if you will. I've hunted ducks and geese for 12 years and only taken 2 banded birds one Canada goose and one drake mallard duck. We've killed a few hundred birds in that stretch of time. One of my best friends killed a double banded goose on a hunt, I wasn't with them on that hunt.
It's funny usually I look for bands and they are never there this one I didn't check the bird. I just threw it out of my boat into dad's for the pile he picked it up a and started smiling real big he thought I knew. Pretty cool moment. Memories that will stand the test of time and last...

I hunted ducks for about 50 years before moving here. Shot hundreds and hundreds of ducks. Never got a single band. My old hunting partner shot many more ducks than I did and he only got one banded bird.

Awesome did you mount it?
Yes ! I've killed 2 banded birds . The other was a wood duck . Hunting with a group of friends and a guy I didn't know . I knocked the bird down but the guys dog retrieved it and brought it back to him . Heard him say : hey this bird has a band . One of my good friends almost got in a fight with the guy but he wouldn't give me the banded duck . I told my friend not to worry about it .

Last edited:
Just like a big buck deer can cause a quick divorce. Shame people want to be like that. It's just a sliver of metal but grown men will go to war over it. Lol well at least it didn't end in a blood bath.
Yes ! I've killed 2 banded birds . The other was a wood duck . Hunting with a group of friends and a guy I didn't know . I knocked the bird down but the guys dog retrieved it and brought it back to him . Heard him say : hey this bird has a band . One of my good friends almost got in a fight with the guy but he wouldn't give me the banded duck . I told my friend not to worry about it

It's funny usually I look for bands and they are never there this one I didn't check the bird. I just threw it out of my boat into dad's for the pile he picked it up a and started smiling real big he thought I knew.
$45/lb average poultry.
$400 waders.
$40 axe.
expensive boat.
Hunting with your dad........Priceless!!!

Latest posts