dsl

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
How does dsl internet work, and who are some places that carry it?

I ask because we live rural, and only have dial up now, but have heard that dsl may be availbale soon, and was just wondering how it worked, as far as what equipment is needed, if any, etc?

Thanks

Gail

TNMasterBeefProducer":1jvg5ou7 said:
It actually works on the phone line. It starts at the pole outside. From there it runs into what is called a DSLAM this is usually a box at the road. From there it runs into the NID(Network Interface Device) on the side of your house. From there the signal is dispersed to all the jacks inside the home. The phone jacks should have 2 sets of twisted pair wires in it. Two of those twisted pairs carry data and 2 of the twisted pairs carry voice. The phone would work on the voice side and the DSL would work on the data side thereby not tying up the phone line. Dialup works on the voice side instead of the data side and that is why it ties up the phone line. AT&T, carries DSL, as does I think Verizon, Earthlink, AOL used to. Any other questions? I used to work for BellSouth as a DSL Technician that is how I know this information. Be advised that the farther you are from the CO (Central Office) the more likely you are not to be able to get DSL. If you live in a rural area I doubt you will be able to get DSL unless everyone in your area has DSLAMS that are compatible to carry the signal. Depending on the market in that area the cost may not justify the added expense to the phone company to upgrade the DSLAMs and Mini Rams.

So, if dsl came to the outskirts, we would still have to have a internet provider as we do now for dial up or just the company who would provide the dsl service?

Sounds confusing, and how much does it cost, do you know?

Then also what is the difference between dsl and broadband/wireless?

Gail

GMN":m4l465v2 said:
How does dsl internet work, and who are some places that carry it?

I ask because we live rural, and only have dial up now, but have heard that dsl may be availbale soon, and was just wondering how it worked, as far as what equipment is needed, if any, etc?

Thanks

Gail

We have wireless internet. There's a transmitter in a tower not too far from our house. We have a "radio" on the roof that receives the signal from the tower and brings it to a box in the house. We have two computers hooked up to the box. If we wanted to put wireless cards in our computers, we could hook the incoming wire into a wireless router and run as many computers as we wanted off it. We're paying about $40 per month. We were paying $25 for a good, very dependable dial up service. This is well worth the extra cost, but it's not as fast as DSL off the cable model in town. Our system stayed up through the ice storms this past winter.

AT&T is building new towers in this part of OK. They're offering cell phone service and wireless internet, too. I haven't checked into the cost of their internet service. This one has been reliable, I'd hesitate to change.

Wikipedia on DSL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL

TNMasterBeefProducer":3pbohja4 said:
It actually works on the phone line. It starts at the pole outside. From there it runs into what is called a DSLAM this is usually a box at the road. From there it runs into the NID(Network Interface Device) on the side of your house. From there the signal is dispersed to all the jacks inside the home. The phone jacks should have 2 sets of twisted pair wires in it. Two of those twisted pairs carry data and 2 of the twisted pairs carry voice. The phone would work on the voice side and the DSL would work on the data side thereby not tying up the phone line. Dialup works on the voice side instead of the data side and that is why it ties up the phone line. AT&T, carries DSL, as does I think Verizon, Earthlink, AOL used to. Any other questions? I used to work for BellSouth as a DSL Technician that is how I know this information. Be advised that the farther you are from the CO (Central Office) the more likely you are not to be able to get DSL. If you live in a rural area I doubt you will be able to get DSL unless everyone in your area has DSLAMS that are compatible to carry the signal. Depending on the market in that area the cost may not justify the added expense to the phone company to upgrade the DSLAMs and Mini Rams.

Will it run over copper? They're in the process of putting in fiber outside of town, won;t reach here for another 20 years though. With the state of the cableplant about the best that dialup will do is 7.2k. We have wireless and a wireless router so it's a moot point for us, but the neighbor likes to do the day trading deal and get's stuck at times because of the speed.

dun":20qxqdr6 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":20qxqdr6 said:

Will it run over copper? They're in the process of putting in fiber outside of town, won;t reach here for another 20 years though. With the state of the cableplant about the best that dialup will do is 7.2k. We have wireless and a wireless router so it's a moot point for us, but the neighbor likes to do the day trading deal and get's stuck at times because of the speed.

So maybe wirelss is the way to go instead of dsl? Is that run thru a carrier also? How much does the equipment cost for that?

Gail

GMN":3sgsdbft said:
dun":3sgsdbft said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":3sgsdbft said:

So maybe wirelss is the way to go instead of dsl? Is that run thru a carrier also? How much does the equipment cost for that?

Gail

Our ISP is a local computer store. I think we paid $100 for him to come out and install the radio on the roof, run the wire inside to the Ethernet switcher, set up the new email accounts and load some software on the computers. We had some problems early on, but he has had it working well for a while now. The radio on the roof belongs to the provider. If we change to AT&T, he'll come out and get it. I think we bought the Ethernet switcher at WalMart, but don't remember what it cost. We decided to go that route instead of the wireless router. He ran the wire inside the house where the Dish Network wiring comes in.

I don't know which would be best for you. It's wonderful if you actually have choices out in the rural areas.

Frankie":t65wago3 said:
GMN":t65wago3 said:
dun":t65wago3 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":t65wago3 said:

Gail

Our ISP is a local computer store. I think we paid $100 for him to come out and install the radio on the roof, run the wire inside to the Ethernet switcher, set up the new email accounts and load some software on the computers. We had some problems early on, but he has had it working well for a while now. The radio on the roof belongs to the provider. If we change to AT&T, he'll come out and get it. I think we bought the Ethernet switcher at WalMart, but don't remember what it cost. We decided to go that route instead of the wireless router. He ran the wire inside the house where the Dish Network wiring comes in.

I don't know which would be best for you. It's wonderful if you actually have choices out in the rural areas.

We have dial up now, and the isp is kind of a pain in hte butt! Customer service, whats that? Kind of place. Plus it is so slow!

The neighbor has a business up the road and he has either dsl or wireless, and triangulates with hte schools towers which isn't too far from here, so I was just wondering. I have to say though I am still confused on the dsl, and not so much what it is, but who carries it, and if we could get it out here. Thanks for all the info.

Gail

GMN":2v8jb2rk said:
I have to say though I am still confused on the dsl, and not so much what it is, but who carries it, and if we could get it out here. Thanks for all the info.

Gail

Check with your local telephone provider. With any luck they'll either have it or be willing to tell you who provides it in your area. If you have a computer store locally, check with them. There business depends on having that kind of information for their customers.

Like dunn said, call your local service provider. They can answer all your questions and probably give you the best price/service. Whoever provides the dsl will also be your internet provider. If you end up getting dsl they will ship you a package with the instructions and software with it. The software almost programs itself onto your computer so you don't need to be a computer whiz to get yourself hooked up. Thats how its done down here anyway.

Walt

I work for AT&T and regardless of who is the service provider in your area, you will pay for DSL access just like the Dialup you are paying for now. Just think it in this way, DSL is like a 4 lane highway to the city. Dialup is like small country 2 lane dirt road to the city. You pay for what you get. More $s for the big highway access and not as much $s for the smaller road.

DSL is provided over a combo of fiber and copper to the houses. While it is true the farther you are from you local Telephone's Central Office (Switch) the less likely you are to get DSL in your area. Exceptions are when they run fiber close to you house and set up the DSLAMS to provide DSL and when a wireless DSL provider makes the service available in your area.

Depending to the service provider high speed internet access can come in the flavor of:

DSL
Cable modem
Satelite

The equirment is similar but different for the DSL and the cable modem. You will need either a DSL modem or Cable modem depending on your service. The modem is usually around $59 bucks give or take $20 either way. I am not sure about the satelite.

WE have DSL internet and love it. We have the the tower wireless thing. There is a tower not far from us and we have a reciever radio on the house. It works well.

RR

we bought satellite internet and i put in a router that will run wireless and LAN. it works great for us. we have 4 computers on it. have to be a little picky about where you set everything up if you have more than one level in your house though. I still get wireless two floors directly below, but can't move into another room as it gets a little iffy.

cowgirl.

Wanna solve that problem? Pull a wire to each of the floors and install a wireless router. That should solve the problem.

I have a single story house but have a router at each end of the house.