Dry Lots

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Boy

Reaction score
Anyone have any pictures of your dry lot? Im not really firmillar with them. Also how well do you make a profit on it?

There are several totally different uses for dry lots.
So you need to narrow the options down to start a useful conversation.
And profit(or loss) on any of them involve too many variables other than the lot--- to give you a useful answer .Need alot more of the variables indentified.

Built one last year and another this year to wean and precondition our calves in.

Built this one last year.
PICT0013_0001.JPG

New one just completed.
PICT0006_0001.JPG

Ritchie waterer we use in the pens.
PICT0016_0001.JPG

The new pen is 200 ft by 150 ft. We currently have 96 calves weaning in that pen. The other pen is about the same size.

They both open into pastures of about 2 to 3 acres. If pens get muddy in winter we can let calves out into pasture to lay around and come back to bunks to eat.

Johnny

Johnny":3ligrk1k said:
The new pen is 200 ft by 150 ft. We currently have 96 calves weaning in that pen. The other pen is about the same size.

They both open into pastures of about 2 to 3 acres. If pens get muddy in winter we can let calves out into pasture to lay around and come back to bunks to eat.

Johnny
Do you always run 1 head per 15 inches of bunk space? We run 1 to 9 thats why I asked.

Nice get-up Johnny!

I see those Chars at the bunk.

You buy bulls from Dr. Rodgers?

The bunks are only 96 ft long so it gives around 12 inches per head.

I like them to all be able to get to bunk at first so timid ones get to eat.

Once they have been there a while we will increase the density.

We have been in the Charolais business for years and are using home grown bulls. A lot of the smokies are from charolais cows and angus bulls. Got tired of the registered game.

Johnny

I like your set up and with concreat easy to clean.. I like the angus and char cross. They seem t odone very good on pasture this year and I ahd some shorthorn Xangus they done very well.. I hope the boss get some next year...

Latest posts