Dry barley

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig

Reaction score
Is dry barley a good substitute for corn if your finishing a steer? Pencils out to a hundred bucks per ton. Any worries feeding dry barley?

If it still has the beards attached it can cause sores in the mouth/nose

Back in college they taught us that barley had 95% of the feed value of corn. One of the few facts I remember from Animal Nutrition 201. I have fed lots of rolled barley to steers.

Should be rolled, I roll mine.

-Whole Barley
A number of studies have investigated whole barley versus processed barley for beef cattle. In general, animal performance with processed barley was greater than when whole barley was fed. Whole barley fed to beef steers averaged 52.5 percent digestibility, while dry rolled barley was digested at 85.2 percent (Toland, 1976). In this study, 48.2 percent of whole barley kernels were recovered in the feces

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/li ... #section-5

Not much barley grown here. I was told it is more disease prone than other feed grains.
There is one old timer here who has gone back to growing it recently after corn input costs went up.
What grain(s) blend well with barley in a ration?

Would barley affect the finished taste of the beef? I sell freezer beef and we eat what we sell. I can afford to spend a little more for feed/barley if it improves the flavor since I pretty much set my own prices.

I would imagine the barley would change the taste if it was fed exclusively vs. mixed with cracked corn or other grains. Just curious if anyone has noted the taste difference.

Craig":3b2b1h28 said:
Is dry barley a good substitute for corn if your finishing a steer? Pencils out to a hundred bucks per ton. Any worries feeding dry barley?
Good substitute for a portion of the corn..20% maybe....but get the steam rolled barley.

Latest posts