Barley

Help Support CattleToday:

Lomac

Reaction score
Been feeding cooked corn to a steer since end of Nov. 1lb dry cooked in 64ozs of water << twice a day. Moving over to crimped Barley. Have cut the corn back to 1lb daily and have added 1 lb barley daily. 2lbs of barley equivalent to 2 lbs dry corn cooked for cover?

Sorry...was just speaking as a supplement. Each feeding he's gets...12lbs Southern States 13% show calf bagged feed, 8oz SureChamp, 4oz Show Bloom, 1lb dry whole shell corn cooked. (Weighs approx 3.5-4lbs cooked) pad of hay and now adding in barley and corn oil. This steer was a replacement for one we had to get rid of. He was a little light on his weight hence the reason for cooking corn originally and getting him up on feed. I would like to replace the cooked corn for Barley. Would be much easier and I hear the finish (cover) is better and smoother. Wanting to know what the equivalency would be in Barley to what I'm feeding in corn. Thanks

You can replace the corn with barley pound for pound. Barley is usually a bit higher in protein and fiber and a little lower in energy but the added fat you're topdressing with should make up for the difference in energy. And yes you should get a for firm smoother cover with the barley (cooked or uncooked ;-) )