Dry lightning

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run

Reaction score
Odd for this part of the country (at least in my memory). What's the stats on this starting fires? Last night the entire southern sky was lit up with mother nature's fireworks, and not even a hint of rain.

I think you are reffering to what we call electrical lightenign where I live. I have never heard of it causing a fire, but then the safety guys here in the arny swear on a stack of bibles it can. Of course they may just be overprotective, which is OK, we had two gusy die from getting hit by lightening last week and one guy who is still in ICU.

Heritage_Farmboy":32745irz said:
we call it heat lightning here

Im sorry, thats what I meant "heat Lightening" To many beers last night.

Electrical lightening doesnt make much sense at all does it :lol: :lol:

I hate dry storms, we have them here can't say I have ever heard of them causing fires. it often happens if we have had a hot spell. not much then I hear people saying, :roll: :lol:

I just saw a thing on CNN. They called it dry lightening and said it can cause fires.

Frankie":1bc5xd5v said:
3MR":1bc5xd5v said:
I just saw a thing on CNN. They called it dry lightening and said it can cause fires.

Have you been up all night?

My night or your night. I slept from about my 0530 - 1000, which would have been your 3:30 PM - 8:00 PM, but I have been up since then so pretty much all of your night.

In my terms, heat lightning is that stuff that lights up the clouds but doesn;t come to the earth, dry lightning is just that, an electrical storm without the precip., then regular old run of the mill lightning that comes with the rains/hail/etc..

dun

It's not the lightning that determines whether there's going to be rain or hail or not, it's the storm cloud.

I've never heard of dry lightning, electrical lightning, or heat lightning. Around here it's just plain lightning, whether it kills cattle, people, creates fires or not.

We get electrical storms where there's just lightning lighting up the sky, with no rain, wind nor thunder. And then there's the ordinary storm with heany rains, possibly hail, wind, and crashing thunder loud enough to make the house shake and tremble. And the occasional tornado/funnel clouds.

Here in NM we call it dry lightning as well and it is one of the most dreaded things around. This year alone dry lightning storms have caused most of the fires that have burned here or are still burning.

Latest posts