Lightning strikes

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Lightning can strike 10 miles in advance of a storm, that is the reason open field sports are cancelled when a storm is close by. This happened several weeks ago near Austin and a boy was hit , leaving him in serious condition, the parents are sueing the youth association for 10 million dollars for ignoring weather warnings.

That's a very sad situation and I sure hope the boy recovers.

My question to the parents with regard to their lawsuit -------why didn't they pull the child out of practice if they felt that there was imminent danger?

Workinonit Farm":14w2khzz said:

My question to the parents with regard to their lawsuit -------why didn't they pull the child out of practice if they felt that there was imminent danger?

Because Jimmy was so close to winning the game and then they were going out for ice cream and a big cake to celebrate. Couldn't let a little weather ruin their plans. But it was definitely the youth association that put Jimmy in the hospital. :roll:

We have a pretty effective storm warning system in our community that sounds loud sirens when threatening weather approaches. The officials and coaches halt all games immediately upon alert.

Sometimes little Jimmy doesn't finish the game but he ALWAYS gets ice cream afterwards. :D

When weather is concerned, many people have a mind set of "It won't happen to me". Hopefully this young person will make a full recovery.

when I umpired It was when a storm was within 5 Miles. From my experience the parents of these kids complained more when I suspended a game because of weather.
they wanted little Johnny to play because they had in their mind he was going to be drafted the next day.

Our company policy is to get inside when you hear thunder and not come out till 30 min since the last thunder. A co-worker got struck trying to hurry up and finish a job before the storm got to him. Fortunately he fully recovered after a two week stay in the hospital. Lightning is nothing to mess with.

The strange part is that it doesn;t always strike the highest object. We have/had a 60 foot oak tree behind the house but down the slope from the house. Lightening hit it but didn;t hit the taller oaks growing 100 yards away or the house or any of the buildings that are all higher in the air then it is/was. I thought it had died from the drought, the other day I took a closer look and saw bark blown off of it and the bark split from up a main limb all the way to the ground.

dun":3l3a46gv said:
The strange part is that it doesn;t always strike the highest object. We have/had a 60 foot oak tree behind the house but down the slope from the house. Lightening hit it but didn;t hit the taller oaks growing 100 yards away or the house or any of the buildings that are all higher in the air then it is/was. I thought it had died from the drought, the other day I took a closer look and saw bark blown off of it and the bark split from up a main limb all the way to the ground.

My experience (may only be me) is that lightning seeks out Sycamores. Neighbor lost 12 cows and my bull under a Sycamore.
Grandad was driving a team of mules back in the '30's and lightning killed one of the team. My family goes to shelter early if there is a storm.

I'd be willing to be that if the parents had to pay the attorney whether they win or lose there wouldn't be a lawsuit.

Workinonit Farm":pe8rfn97 said:

We are having the same problem here in Alabama. The Children just do not want to let their team mates down by not being there and playing the game as a team. I agree that the parents should pull their children in bad weather as we do.