adjoining county,
He asked me a rhetorical question, "Why didn't we have a
drug problem when you and I were growing up?"
I responded that we, most certainly, did have a drug problem when we
were kids.
I, for one, had an ongoing drug problem when I was growing
up -
I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the
weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie,
brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill
of the teacher or the preacher or if I didn't put forth my best effort
in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
I do know what Lye soap tastes like.

I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flowerbeds and
cockleburs out of dad's field.

I was drug to the homes of family, friends and neighbors to help out
some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline
or chop some fire wood. And if my mother had ever known that I took a
single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to
the wood shed.

Those drugs are still in my veins, and they affect my behavior in
everything I do, say and think.

They are stronger than cocaine, crack or heroin, and if today's
children had this kind of drug problem,
America might be better place.

but now everyone listens to dr, spock's advice & as far as i know he didn't have kids. everyone is afraid to make their kids mind. even animals will make their young mind. sometimes i wonder who is smarter anymore

jerry27150":37kzcb1o said:
but now everyone listens to dr, spock's advice & as far as i know he didn't have kids. everyone is afraid to make their kids mind. even animals will make their young mind. sometimes i wonder who is smarter anymore

He had a son......the bastard committed suicide!

My wife doesn't like it, but I compare kids to cows... When we let the cows out in the spring, they'd follow the electric fence all the way around the field, they touch it once or twice (and jump!), and then they go about graseing in the field. A week or so later, they will go and check the fences again, and maybe even touch one again... with the same result. The cows like to know where the boundry is, and what happens when it is challenged. When they find the boundry is the same, and the result is the same for exceeding it, they will go about the rest of the summer with out any problems. (and they are "happy cows") If the fence gets broken, or removed, when the cows find this out, they go out of control, running - kicking in the air, and destroying anything in their path. Kids are the same, they need boundries, and consistant discipline when they violate them. Then they can be happy kids. Kids with no boundries will actually go until they find boundries...usually our fine officers in blue! But by then it's too late for them to have a "happy" life!

SSchmidt":jucclv2q said:
My wife doesn't like it, but I compare kids to cows... When we let the cows out in the spring, they'd follow the electric fence all the way around the field, they touch it once or twice (and jump!), and then they go about graseing in the field. A week or so later, they will go and check the fences again, and maybe even touch one again... with the same result. The cows like to know where the boundry is, and what happens when it is challenged. When they find the boundry is the same, and the result is the same for exceeding it, they will go about the rest of the summer with out any problems. (and they are "happy cows") If the fence gets broken, or removed, when the cows find this out, they go out of control, running - kicking in the air, and destroying anything in their path. Kids are the same, they need boundries, and consistant discipline when they violate them. Then they can be happy kids. Kids with no boundries will actually go until they find boundries...usually our fine officers in blue! But by then it's too late for them to have a "happy" life!

Very WELL PUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cboy: ;-)

jerry27150":yh10b4n2 said:
but now everyone listens to dr, spock's advice
Saw an interview with him a long time ago, when he admitted that his "advice" in his book was just something that he thought people would want to hear and would sell books. Made one man wealthy and nearly ruined a generation.

SSchmidt":1v1oeg4s said:

I totally agree. It amazes me the total lack of control many parents have with their children. I always felt kids responded to disipline. Like you say, it gives them boundaries that they understand.

IM 16 YEARS OLD, AND I WAS SLIGHTLY OFFENDED BY THIS POST. I KNOW MANY KIDS TODAY WERE NOT RAISED THE SAME WAY AS MOST OF YALL WERE, BUT THERE ARE SOME OF US THAT STILL TRY HARD TO LIVE BY THE STANDARDS SET FOR US BY OUR FOREFATHERS AND BY OUR LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST. I AM ONE OF THOSE KIDS, AND I FIND IT OFFENSIVE THAT PEOPLE OF YOUR ESTEMMED GENERATION WOULD MAKE GENERALIZATIONS SUCH AS HAVE BEEN STATED HERE. I KNOW THERE ARE MANY DISRESPECTFUL, AND UNGRATFUL KIDS OUT THERE, BUT I BELIEVE THAT TO GENERALIZE ALL TEENAGERS AND ALL KIDS IN THAT FASHION IS UNCALLED FOR.

sIM-N-TALL":1yx1xii2 said:
IM 16 YEARS OLD, AND I WAS SLIGHTLY OFFENDED BY THIS POST. I KNOW MANY KIDS TODAY WERE NOT RAISED THE SAME WAY AS MOST OF YALL WERE, BUT THERE ARE SOME OF US THAT STILL TRY HARD TO LIVE BY THE STANDARDS SET FOR US BY OUR FOREFATHERS AND BY OUR LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST. I AM ONE OF THOSE KIDS, AND I FIND IT OFFENSIVE THAT PEOPLE OF YOUR ESTEMMED GENERATION WOULD MAKE GENERALIZATIONS SUCH AS HAVE BEEN STATED HERE. I KNOW THERE ARE MANY DISRESPECTFUL, AND UNGRATFUL KIDS OUT THERE, BUT I BELIEVE THAT TO GENERALIZE ALL TEENAGERS AND ALL KIDS IN THAT FASHION IS UNCALLED FOR.

HMMM, could this be a prime example of part of the problem now a days???

Yelling and a hint of disrespect here?

Ok maybe all kids shouldn't be put in this catagory. Jake seems to be a pretty good kid.

certherfbeef":3afbyrjc said:
sIM-N-TALL":3afbyrjc said:

Ok maybe all kids shouldn't be put in this catagory. Jake seems to be a pretty good kid.

sIM-N-TALL

Stick to your guns. You sound like you got your head screwed on right.

Write in lower case when applicable and it will come off better.

sIM-N-TALL":bx7vnm5y said:
Maybe I missed something, but I don't think anybody was critical of all kids. There are some really good young people, but there is also a big problem with a lot of them. Criticism is more of their parents for not taking their responsibilities.

sIM-N-TALL wrote:

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think anybody was critical of all kids. There are some really good young people, but there is also a big problem with a lot of them. Criticism is more of their parents for not taking their responsibilities.

Sim-N-Tal
Glad to have you on the board. I think you got offensive for nothing. None of us think ALL kids. We as parents & grandparents feel it is the PARENTS that are at fault. Sounds like you have a good set of parents.
Actually, we in the beef world have a bunch of great kids, because they are kept too busy & learn respect & work ethics working on the farms.
Again, glad to have you on board. It is good to get perspective from our young guns.

certherfbeef":vv4nwyhi said:
sIM-N-TALL":vv4nwyhi said:

There are many good kids nowadays, but there are ALWAYS a few, oh how shall how I put it, Idiots in the bunch.
Respect your elders!
You will learn lots here if you listen.

Latest posts