Drought

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Because of our soil (laugh here) type conventional wisdom is we are never more then 10 days away from a drought. Yesteerday was day 9 since we had any rain. Drought has been averted, we got 6/10 last night with more coming today. PHEW, what a relief

We would need 6/10ths a day for a week for 6/10ths to show anything. It's been almost a month since our last 3/10ths.

I could use 9 days without rain. We have a Bermuda high sitting on us and it keeps bringing moisture to us quite regularly. Great for growing grass but sure sucks for haying. The impatient friend I mentioned had his hay fluffed and dried yesterday and ready to bale but a large five oclock shadow wet it all again.

Got a little shower here to Dun. Wife monkeyed with the rain gauge out by the garden last night so I didn't get a reading. Hopefully more will follow after I get my hay tarped. :D

No rain here in about a week.. but its been good for hayin. gonna put up my last 63 bales Saturday. then it can rain all it needs to..
grass is still green.. so Im' hoping the rains arent over for summer.

Had a good line of storms heading our way out of Kansas last night then as usual the storm split and went around us. We need rain it's dry again.

greybeard":pia5bfaw said:
Drought. Plagues of locust?
I'm beginning to wonder who's been naughty and who's been nice....
I must be a baaaad boy. 104 today and headed higher for about the next week. We're somewhere around six inches of rain since this time last year. I'm looking at hauling water up the hill a few times a week here pretty quick if it stays this hot.

We got a light shower on June 15, that was the day Springfield, Mo got from 7-10 inches and I am about 20 miles southwest. Got lots of wind and storm last night, but not a drop of rain. It had been about 10 days before that light shower, so a light shower in the last 23 days. We had good rain in April and May, just a real dry June, but so much better than last year.

I just walked outside and got hit with a few raindrops. Didn't last long but it dropped the temp below 75 and it ffeels great out there tonight!

Same way here, dun. Our soils are derived from low grade limestone bedrock and siltstone. This gives rise to a tight (low percolation) clay soil. The virgin organic layer has been gone for probably 100 years probably since the deciduous woods were removed and the soil was exposed for farming. Years and years of growing tobacco and corn on slopes that were too steep has resulted in the erosion of the real topsoil. But the clay soil that is there is not bad if it gets rain about every week. Because of the low percolation, heavy rains go down the river. Then if the wind blows and it gets hot which both are common this time of year in a couple days, you need rain again.

We just can't break out of the drought
Oct 2010 til June of 2012 we didnt hardly get a sprinkle
Then June to oct 2012 was as good as I have ever seen here, then it stopped
We have had several good showers starting in late may but not a drought buster
Lots of folks further west are still hurting

Saturday we got a local thrunderstorm that dropped 1.75 inches in a few minutes. I have never seen the creek on the back of my farm get that high. Not much good to get it that fast. It just runs off.

Latest posts