Drought plan

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been told to not try to feed threw a drought. One can pencil out feeding hay during winter or during summer, but not both.
Good general advice, but not always true. It is better to learn how to do a gross margin calculation for your operation.

I back calculated how I could afford to feed during our drought last year. I needed some cow appreciation and U$S 2.35 calves in 2022.

So, good general advice.

If you're feeding stalks I'm guessing it was harvested. If it was there shouldn't be a issue with nitrates. I wasn't to stressed if it made a crop.
Scott Rushing DVM in lampasas does a nitrate test in the clinic without having to send it off.
Nitrates dont dissapate with harvest that is prussic acid you are thinking of I believe. Also nitrate levels are higher the lower in the plant you go so cutting at a higher height can sometimes be used to help lower risks although it is usually a foot or more up the plant. That is how it has been explained to me by more than one forage guru anyway.

Nitrates dont dissapate with harvest that is prussic acid you are thinking of I believe. Also nitrate levels are higher the lower in the plant you go so cutting at a higher height can sometimes be used to help lower risks although it is usually a foot or more up the plant. That is how it has been explained to me by more than one forage guru anyway.
I didn't say it did.
I said if the corn made a crop it wasn't stressed to bad.

608 miles. Bahaya 4 x 6 at $55. It's a friend of ours. He put up 192 rolls last week. He charges $6 a mile. Just sharing in case anyone needs it. I know you'd probably be a bit far. I can pm his number for anyone interested. The folks near Longview TX have been in touch. Tough decisions going around.
Much thanks for the information. Is indeed to far for me. I like and miss the 20 dollar rolls I'm accustomed to. $25 last year. 😔 I expect to be around the $40 mark if I were to buy any this year.

Making me think hard on trying some cool season annuals on my warm season ground. My brain tells me it'd be the best bang for a buck, assuming precipitation returns during hurricane season.

I hope your buddy gets the hay sold. Shouldn't have any trouble this year. Lol.

Much thanks for the information. Is indeed to far for me. I like and miss the 20 dollar rolls I'm accustomed to. $25 last year. 😔 I expect to be around the $40 mark if I were to buy any this year.

Making me think hard on trying some cool season annuals on my warm season ground. My brain tells me it'd be the best bang for a buck, assuming precipitation returns during hurricane season.

I hope your buddy gets the hay sold. Shouldn't have any trouble this year. Lol.
You are welcome. I miss the $35 rolls from last year. I'll be adding more rye grass this year.

You are welcome. I miss the $35 rolls from last year. I'll be adding more rye grass this year.
You're talking 1990 prices here!
I had 36 dollars in a roll in 2010 my cost. Sounds like someone's pencil needs to be sharpened. I dang sure didn't bale it for below cost or free like some of these nuts.

I had 36 dollars in a roll in 2010 my cost. Sounds like someone's pencil needs to be sharpened. I dang sure didn't bale it for below cost or free like some of these nuts.
I have a family connection. My brother supplies my hay and I'm grateful for it.

Our cost this year was 31 up from 28 last year. Sold most of the hay this year to locals for 31 at first, out of the field. But, as the season went on it went up to 45 because some fields werent yielding as much as we hoped. Today, its 55 out of the field.. most of its sold though. If we get any rain, we may have more to sell.

Here is an article about underground water and where it is today. I live in Wood County Texas around an area that is rapidly growing and more wells are being drilled and more water being extracted. I have already had to lower the pump in one well and all of the neighbors have had to also. To many straws in the drink for the size of the glass. Time for us all to get concerned where water and what we would do if the wells run dry.

Our cost this year was 31 up from 28 last year. Sold most of the hay this year to locals for 31 at first, out of the field. But, as the season went on it went up to 45 because some fields werent yielding as much as we hoped. Today, its 55 out of the field.. most of its sold though. If we get any rain, we may have more to sell.
If you were to include the bale dimensions we would have a better idea of cost. thanks!

Fellow on the haykings page this morning at mt pleasant. Looking for 1000 rolls. He was offering 50,000 but he looked flexible to me

Latest posts