Drought Buzz ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
The talking heads are getting excited about dry weather in the south. The price of used snowmobiles has cratered here. Are we in for some angry ocean current thing, or is it way too early to worry?

M-5":3qfje7qa said:
Cold winter here is typically a dry hot summer. We are in drought conditions but I burnt fields today and there was moisture when I disked the perimeters. All ponds are empty .
Rain is just west of you looks like.

kenny thomas":3u1ebemi said:
M-5":3u1ebemi said:
Cold winter here is typically a dry hot summer. We are in drought conditions but I burnt fields today and there was moisture when I disked the perimeters. All ponds are empty .
Rain is just west of you looks like.
Yes , we got 3 " last Sunday. We have got some small timely showers.

My pond is still down about 10" unheard of for this time of year. I'm planning on selling down before spring when some folks still have hope in it raining.

Been getting lots of moisture here this winter, which is normal.
Hope you guys in the deep south and southeast do NOT go into bad drought.
High water is hard to take but doesn't last all year and it's effect doesn't last several years like a drought does.

crystal ball: Next significant drought should still be a few years away.
Pluto enters Aquarius (the water bearer) in 2023 and by the time it leaves in 2043 (25 years from now) there will be
an understanding of droughts like none have had since the dust bowl era of the 1930s.
100 yr cycle? but wider than ever before.

Son of Butch":3oacub56 said:
Pluto enters Aquarius (the water bearer) in 2023 and by the time it leaves in 2043 (25 years from now) there will be
an understanding of droughts like none have had since the dust bowl era of the 1930s.

One person's definition of 'significant' is not necessarily another's. In lots of the South and Southwest, we're never more than 2 weeks away from a 'significant' drought...

greybeard":1k2fb5kf said:
One person's definition of 'significant' is not necessarily another's. In lots of the South and Southwest, we're never more than 2 weeks away from a 'significant' drought...

What is the organic matter level of your soil?

Through the wonderful wet summer we had I stocked up two years of hay. I figure to run out around march1. No winter grass except along the creeks. All ponds are below 50 percent some are dry. Including the 80 acre flood control lake that's down to a quarter acre. All of my oats are still alive but just pitiful."many lost thier oats" I'm fortunate to have a pretty good size rent place that's been empty all winter. I'll move on it when the Hays gone.
Should carry them to green up.....if it rains

If we don't get considerable rain soon.
Maybe better to sell the cows and then sell my Grass...idk the last time I saw dry tanks in the winter. It was the summer from he//.

We are currently in Moderate drought with Abnormally dry a few miles north and Severe drought a few miles south.

Left the cow/calf side in 09, went to hay production and stockers. Back on the cows this year , should've had plenty of hay , no fall grass . We'll probably cull a little hard and maybe sell calves early . I would sell my soul for 3in of rain right now.

Son of Butch":3jo9rqv2 said:

Can you expand on that some more?

greybeard":1n9u4bel said:
High water is hard to take but doesn't last all year and it's effect doesn't last several years like a drought does.
I was thinking we could use a little more...http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMa ... or.aspx?TX.

1982vett":2g1wqnvx said:
greybeard":2g1wqnvx said:
I was thinking we could use a little more...http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMa ... or.aspx?TX.

The map is off for my area shows me abnormally dry.
I am in mud the sloughs are full covered in wood ducks and mallards.

Blessed with rain today but way behind as a whole for quite awhile. Ponds are starting to show it. No culling on lack of water yet in my area though.

Stocker Steve":1mm4xtdh said:
dun":1mm4xtdh said:
We are currently in Moderate drought with Abnormally dry a few miles north and Severe drought a few miles south.

How heavy is the cow culling?
Shipped so many to Nebraska a couplle of months ago that it's no problem. Just feeding hay is all, and not much of that