Drought 2010

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
I have been farming for 27yrs in Peace River area and this is the worst drought i have seen no feed for cattle lots are heading for market already some cattlemen are feeding hay already what have some others have run out of water.There wont be any straw as the grain is so short. The last moisture we got was snow on may 23 -2in. here is a few pics of lake where i pasture cattle by
drought2010025.jpg
drought2010026.jpg
Here is pics of my barley field no water on this area so i will have to try and bale it
drought2010020.jpg
drought2010021.jpg
drought2010022.jpg
here is some of shorthorn calves seem to be doing ok so far.
drought2010008.jpg
drought2010005.jpg
a Jackaroo bull calf.

That reminds me of what we went through in 07-08. It gives you a terrible helpless feeling when you hear the grass crunch under your feet. Hang in there, it will pass.

What lake is that Tamarack ? My husband was in your area on Sunday, he said it is devastating to see everything burnt and dried up. I pray you get some rain soon, and hopefully can salvage some crops.

I feel what you are going through, as up until the beginning of June when everyone finally got some snow I thought for sure the drought since '08 was going to continue and I would have to sell what little bit of herd I had left.

Your calves look like they are fairing well so far. Do you have enough feed stored to hold you over winter ?

Hills- it is a small unnamed lake that borders my pasture first time it went dry in my lifetime have only 200 bales this year not much for the 90 head i have hope to get some straw somewhere but the trucking is a killer.can buy some hay 150mi north but at $50 a bale and $30 for trucking i will be selling some cows will try to keep the pb shorthorns. thanks all for support . :)

Those are some good looking calves, all you can do is the best you know how in this kind of situation. It's getting dry here too, but nothing like that. Hang in there.

Larry

listing to radio today an they say the ferry that cross the Peace river is shut down apparently there isnt enough water to float a car across this drought is not giving anyone a break.The Peace is a big river maybe .5 to .75 mile wide at most points usually very deep.

Latest posts