Droopy ear calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
3 month old bull calf is walking around acting like he doesn't feel good. Still sucking and picking at grass. Week ago he had a red ball (like a half baseball) hanging out his rear. Haven't seen it since that night. Just noticed him acting like this tonight. Could these be related? What should I do? Shot of antibiotic? Thanks

It very well could be related. the "red ball" you describe is a prolapse. If that is coming out of his anus, then he will have problems with bowel movements. If he still has the prolapse, do you think he'd probably be acting sick if he couldn't **** for a week? The prolapse needs to be fixed, if it can (might be too late). If it can be fixed, once healed, he needs to grow wheels. There are too many good ones to deal with issues like that.

I assumed he would be bloated and in extreme discomfort if he hadn't had any movements in a week. He no longer has the prolapse. I check this herd almost daily

Good eye on the ears! Their ears will tell you a lot. When their ears are like that they for sure don't feel right. When you saw the red ball was he laying or standing? Sometimes if they are really full and laying you might see something like that but, not the size your describing. Maybe, treat with antibotics and prepare to get a vet out if no improvement. B&G

He was standing. This morning he was riding other calves and acting normal other than the droopy ears. Like I said, have not seen anything out of his rear since that first night. Everything back there looks completely normal. What antibiotic is recommend?

Tbrake":2qvh5b6i said:
He was standing. This morning he was riding other calves and acting normal other than the droopy ears. Like I said, have not seen anything out of his rear since that first night. Everything back there looks completely normal. What antibiotic is recommend?

Depends on what's wrong and if I'm following the thread correctly the calf had presumably a rectal prolapse & droopy ears with no other symptoms. Personally I'd take him into the vet to make sure there are no residual effects from the prolapse. If the temperature is normal I don't automatically administer antibiotics unless additional symptoms (other than droopy ears) warrant: coughing, snotty nose, drooling, not eating, away from the herd, etc. If he's feeling that bad he wouldn't be hunching other calves. Having said that, if he does have a temp and symptoms are consistent with pneumonia, I prefer Resflor Gold or Draxxin and Banamine (Resflor has Banamine in it). Both require a RX.

lot of those prolapses disappear as they grow, seen many and never had only one that had to be sewed, his came out 5-6 inches. the ears look like he has some brammer crossed in. if he acts fine & is riding others I would just watch him for a while, but I personally don't think anything is wrong with him.

If he is a heavy rider, he may have been trying to ride a cow, which can produce the prolapse. But, even though it is back & may all be perfectly normal, you know he is prone to doing it, and it is heritable, so I would recommend castration.
And I agree with TC's comments.

Latest posts