Drill vs seeder

Help Support CattleToday:

Waldershrek

Reaction score
Which method works better? Some fields need reseeding and I'm wondering if we should just overseed, use a drill, a brillion or what. Some are already hay fields that just need freshening up. Others were hay fields years ago but has been dormant for many years and still others were corn this year.

Not just a drill vs seeder question.....both applicatons work as long as the weather, meaning rain and moisture, is also correct for the type application you choose.....

Well I'm in upstate NY so it's generally pretty good as far as rainfall. No real droughts or anything. If anything we might get more rain than we need.

If it's an afrlafa field, neither will work very well. For grass I prefer a drill over broadcasting simply because it's more precise then broadcasting. For clover seed I prefer broadcasting, the seed being heavier tends to spread more evenly then grass seed.

I see what you are saying now. I should clarify.....

For a new crop of alfalfa do you prefer a traditional drill or a cultipacker type?

For timothy mixes and freshening up pasture do you prefer over seeding, drill, or brillion type seeder?

eaiser to get good soil to seed contact and better assurance of proper depth

Waldershrek":2bi1vbe5 said:
Those get pretty expensive don't they?
If yu only use it occasioanlly it does. Check with your extension office or soil conservation, possibly even your Dept of wildlife. One of them may have one for rent. If it's a one shot deal you might see if a local farmer will do it for you

Brillion will give you the most consistent stand and fewer passes. See if you can rent one.

I usually use my drill, include some oats, and have one of the kids make a second pass with a packer.

Landpride makes a 10 ft. drop seeder with packer wheels front and back. How does that type seeder compare with a drill?
Bear

I watched a few videos from various extensions/universities etc and they seemed to recommend a Brillion type but I just wondered what the experts here liked and why. Cheapest I've been able to find one is $4000. I haven't looked at renting one. I suppose that would make more sense seeing how you'd only use it every couple years.

Like the Brillion seeders, just wish they had option for larger seed boxes. Landpride is same type of seeder with option for much larger seed box.
Bear

Latest posts