Dream a little?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Been looking at other ranches in BC, just to see what's out there...
I found 22,000 acres of forest for $24,000,000
I found 8,000 acres of forest for $9,900,000
OK, so I did find some ranches too
The Chutter ranch, 3500 acres deeded, 12,000 acres crown lease, running 750 cows and a 1200 calf feedlot.. Yeah,... that was 25 million (cows included though)

Getting into something slightly realistic, I found one
1100 acres, 200 acres in sub irrigated hay, grazing lease for 220 cow/calf pair.. $2.5 million.. I'd be just north of Kathie and PL tannery. It looks like it has some wonderful meadows for the range.. rolling mountains, about 2200 ft elevation.
I think I'd need a hand both affording it, and managing it... I know a guy that might fit the bill, but partnerships are always risky... It also has no cows on it.

Found another place, 320 total acres, 100 acres in hay, 80'x216' covered riding arena (yeah, I'd find another use for that), Current grazing lease is 67 pair, but sounds like it could be increased.. house built in 2000, second dwelling and a shop on the place... that one is $1,250,000

I think no machinery/cattle are included in any of them.. a serious expense at startup...

20 years ago we looked at the Chezacut ranch (a pipe dream again).. it was $3,000,000... it's probably $15,000,000 now.. That was a place that ran 600 head of cows, and kept the calves to long yearlings, all on one cut of hay (and a 6 month winter).. Darned isolated place though... it was 30 miles from a ghost town, and about 3 hours to any place you could get something... Wonderful scenery there too though

I am about to flip a place. Awesome ground. Don't want to sell it but can't pass up what they're offering. I've put some time and cross fences in it. Not a lot of expense but a lot of sweat.

I'll be looking myself. Or else making Uncle Sam very proud. Capital gains taxes will kill me.

Something a little bigger than the place i am selling would be nice.

We've been here 25 years.. we chose this place because it's still pretty close to vancouver, it's got a climate you can grow nearly anything in (melons, vinyards, corn, squash, etc) but to make a living on cattle it is just too small (180 acres, 50 in hay, the rest is bush).. It's got some really nice features like gravity water at 700 gpm and 100 psi, relatively mild winters (it doesn't stay below -10F for long.. not even 0F) and since we have no range to kick the cows onto, it seriously hampers our ability to reseed fields etc. If we could get rid of the cows for just 2 to 3 months, I know our 112x40ft hay shed would be well overflowing with hay.. I'm already making 120 ton excluding what the cows eat.

Here's the fist place
http://www.ranchesonly.com/listings/public/show/412

and the second
http://www.ranchesonly.com/listings/public/show/268

Some land is coming up for a 5 year lease 1 mile south of my north lease. The land is owned by the same person who I rent from so they said I could have first crack at it 1000 ac in one block, fenced and cross fenced with a creek and 2 dugouts 300 ac to put in crop and the rest is in hay/pasture $15000 a year. I don't know if I can handle it, would have to buy about another 80 head of bred cows. Sure is tempting but I am just on the fence and don't know which way to go.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable price to lease that amount of land... At current cow prices I think I'd be a little shakey about buying cows for a 5 year lease... Sounds just long enough for the price to fall!

Well I hope the prices stay close to what they are now for a few more years but you never know in the cattle business. I think the land will be up for sale at the end of 5 years but I think I will be on the downhill slide at this time but it would be a good start for my grandsons or my son. Like I say I am on the fence about this one.

backhoeboogie":1gxauxsi said:
I am about to flip a place. Awesome ground. Don't want to sell it but can't pass up what they're offering. I've put some time and cross fences in it. Not a lot of expense but a lot of sweat.

I'll be looking myself. Or else making Uncle Sam very proud. Capital gains taxes will kill me.

Something a little bigger than the place i am selling would be nice.
You'll still owe the capital gains is you sell for cash.....do owner financing...insist on it...then pay taxes only on principal reduction plus interest paid on the note. Having those monthly checks coming in is nice.

1031 exchange can help you out Backhoe. And Nesikep, those places are really nice. One of these days I'll be spending the summers out there myself.

Certainly a lot cheaper than here!.. But I'd have to put up with that blasted cold and snow I see you posting about! I'd miss the mountains, but the wide horizon is also very nice.

Latest posts