Draxine

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Kevin

Reaction score
Went home for christmas break and had trouble with sick calves, mostly due to phemonia. The vets said the best drug they used was draxine that had just came out. It is extremely expensive, but well worth the money. It runs about $3.15 a cc. Gave it to 300 pounders and it looked like a whole new herd the next morning. Wondering if anyone else has had the same success with the drug?

Was talking to a big pre-contioning lot owner on Saturday. He raved about how good the stuff worked for him. Expensive though.

I try not to use any antibiotics and have not used it.

well if i'm gonna pay that kind of money i would expect it should work at Least 90% of the time and Not 50%. And I precondition a lot of calves.
Won't use it again.

Medic24":1ywkh188 said:
Well, just keep one thing in mind boys and girls........just cus there are new meds out on the market, does NOT mean that the stuff thats been around for a bit no longer works! :cboy:

I agree Medic.
Everbody kept telling me "oh draxxin is great , But you gotta catch em early!"
so what do you do give ever calf you see with a runny nose a shot? Not me. If a calf is visibly sick then I will doctor it, and I better see results in 24 hours or I will be using something else.
and "oh but it takes two days for draxxin to work."
so what do you do in the meantime, you show up the next morning and start dragging calves to the boneyard cause It Did Not Work!
If you're lucky you might get another chance and follow up with baytril or A180 and heal the calf.
Then guys tell me "oh well we mass treat with draxxin."
Now what kind of costs does that add up to?
More than I care to spend.
Just speaking from personal experience.

bif

Farmer Kevin":1taoimwj said:
Went home for christmas break and had trouble with sick calves, mostly due to phemonia. The vets said the best drug they used was draxine that had just came out. It is extremely expensive, but well worth the money. It runs about $3.15 a cc. Gave it to 300 pounders and it looked like a whole new herd the next morning. Wondering if anyone else has had the same success with the drug?

Did not have good luck on some sick calves. Went back to Baytril.

Scotty

we use Nuflor , If they are already bad ,we aslo hit them with a shot a Pennicillian at the same time . My vet said it seems to really give a boost to the first day of treatment using the Penn along with Nuflor.It works well for us.

Latest posts