downer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

cow went down friday week ago. had put her up to give her extra feed because she looked really thin. She could have fallen down and twisted something. calf was 3 weeks old. bloodtest showed Mg level fine Ca level low vet gave her hi cal, predef, and we gave her 20 cc dexometh. for 3 days. On sunday (2 ds later) i lifted her up and she supported her weight and walked at least 50 ft then she refused to go any further and lay down. since then i have lifted her but she doen'nt respond doesn't have good feeling in her back legs someone told me it might be like creepers. she acts just like a cow that just had a calf and now is paralyzed. i was told maybe give her some vit e or others. she eats so so but doesn't really drink that much water open to suggestions otherwise i know where she is headed
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1esi6rnb said:
: cow went down friday week ago. had put her up to give her extra feed because she looked really thin. She could have fallen down and twisted something. calf was 3 weeks old. bloodtest showed Mg level fine Ca level low vet gave her hi cal, predef, and we gave her 20 cc dexometh. for 3 days. On sunday (2 ds later) i lifted her up and she supported her weight and walked at least 50 ft then she refused to go any further and lay down. since then i have lifted her but she doen'nt respond doesn't have good feeling in her back legs someone told me it might be like creepers. she acts just like a cow that just had a calf and now is paralyzed. i was told maybe give her some vit e or others. she eats so so but doesn't really drink that much water open to suggestions otherwise i know where she is headed <p>Ok....I have a few thoughts....what was her Phosphorus level? This is the most common reason for a beef cow to go down, especially the way you've described. Also, is she emaciated? Starvation will cause weakness which will drop them--and can be due to poor teeth, parasitism, poor protein levels in feed.....Is she in pain? The downer's are often in pain and will refuse to try after a time because of it! Also being down will definitely predispose her to mastitis--I'd check that!! Muscle damage from being down will weaken her and her kidney function, a downward spiral...I have more ideas, but need further info. Good Luck<br>V<br>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Latest posts