Downer Cow Jack

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't understand this in the precautions.

<<The purpose of the Cow Jack is to support the animal and not to inflate it to such an extent that it actually lifts the animal of the ground. >>

bird dog said:
I don't understand this in the precautions.

<<The purpose of the Cow Jack is to support the animal and not to inflate it to such an extent that it actually lifts the animal of the ground. >>
probably means not lifting so even feet are off the ground, it must be able to lift body up so hopefully animal will put some of its weight on its own feet.

I can see some goofy cow not liking that object under her and trying to get away from it and hurting herself worse. seems like a hanging sling is better.

Same principle as a hip lift, sling or straps. Support the cow, not suspend. And I agree with HR - this technique would allow the cow to potentially get up on her own, rest when she needed to.

I don't love the straps, though. Looks like they may cut in & I'd be tempted to put pool noodles or some kind of cushion on them.

Never have bothered with lifting them. Just took them feed and water until they got up on their own. A couple took three weeks.

JMJ Farms said:
May work fine. Idk? I use one of these
Borrowed a hip lift like that for one downer & it worked great. Second time we had a downer the hip lift wouldn't fit - she was too fat. Ironically, the first cow didn't make it but the 2nd made a complete recovery without lifting.

TCRanch said:
JMJ Farms said:
May work fine. Idk? I use one of these
Borrowed a hip lift like that for one downer & it worked great. Second time we had a downer the hip lift wouldn't fit - she was too fat. Ironically, the first cow didn't make it but the 2nd made a complete recovery without lifting.

As has been discussed here numerous times, I've had mixed success rates with downer cows. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But I always gotta try. My experiences always seem to be in less than ideal conditions. Brutal cold and wet. Scorching hot in the middle of summer. As far as they can get from shade or water. Something always compounds the difficulty of the task.

Latest posts