Downer stockers

Help Support CattleToday:

pattie105

Reaction score
First, some background:

We have a herd of about 113 mixed breed stocker calves. We bought them from a friend who purchased them at a sale barn, vaccinated and dewormed them, and banded the bulls. They were weaned and about 300-400 lbs. We bought them four months ago when they were about 400 lbs (average). They are now about 500-600 lbs.

Most of the herd has been moved from our (over-grazed) property to our leased pasture, that has abundant grass. My husband hasn't been able to move about 35 because he got ill.

Now the situation that I have a question about:

Three of the steers (about 500 pounders) that are still on our property can't get up. We found two out in the pasture, and saw one actually fall in the corral.

Additionally, several of the herd fell (and got up) when we were working them in the corral and the squeeze chute. Several fell while in the head gate. We have never had this happen before, other than an occasional crazy calf that fought the head gate.

The first steer has been down about a week. The other two, a few days.

They are alert and eating (hay, all the green grass we can bring them and a high protein special mix feed) and drinking 3-5 gallons of water a day. We see no signs of illness (other than pink-eye in one, which we have treated with Draxxin). They all attempt to rise, but can't get up on their front legs.

We think the group of 35 may have gotten weak because of lack of good grass on our over-grazed pastures. We dewormed several of this group (injectable Ivomec) because they were thin. The rest of the herd, who are grazing on our leased pasture, are gaining weight and are healthy. None are downers.

Does any one have a suggestion about what we can do or ideas about why these steers can't get up??

Absolutely a vet call and I'd be ready to sacrifice one for a necropsy right away to save the rest.
It sounds like toxicity since you're pushing them hard with short pasture... That's when they're most likely to eat something that they'd normally pass up...

You can feed your way through or out of a parasite problem, but you can't deworm your way out of a malnutrition/feed deficiency problem.
Calves down or 'falling out' while you're moving them, etc. - and with your admission that they've not had much to eat - suggests weakness due to malnutrition, but 'nervous coccidiosis' would also be a consideration.
Definitely past time to have your veterinarian out - and a necropsy, even if it means sacrificing one of the worst calves - but make sure it's been exhibiting symptoms TYPICAL of what you've seen in the others - may well be in order.
If these calves were banded - and had not been previously vaccinated with tetanus toxoid, you could see an 'outbreak' of tetanus 2-4 weeks out, but I wouldn't expect it this far out.

Have they had mineral available? Could be some mineral deficiency. Seems like if your grass is gone you need to put out some hay or something for them to eat or get help to move them.

Jim

Latest posts