Down cow

Help Support CattleToday:

wildcatkit52

Reaction score
I have a cow down.

She was the only one of my dad's cows that didn't calve. She has been hanging back from the rest for about a week now. Yesterday afternoon I saw her down and she let me approach and touch her. I went to the house and back and she had gotten up and moved to the other cows. Today I found her down again. Slight vaginal discharge and nasal discharge. She moved about 20-30 ft while I was away from her again. I hoped maybe she was just about to calve though I couldn't see anymore signs after a while. I sat and watched her this afternoon. She tried to get up but couldn't. I got her to drink a little but she wouldn't take feed. She would stick her nose in the air and swings her head back and forth but doesn't try to get up.

If she is down in the morning I will call a vet but trying to get an idea on why she'd be like this...

If she's very close to calving it'd be worth giving her calcium - it may not be the underlying cause but usually it helps if the cow is weak around that time. If it *is* a metabolic issue you should see her become more alert within minutes of giving the calcium.

I'm inclined to think pneumonia as well - or something that is making her progressively weaker. Hopefully the vet can enlighten you.
If she's not eating the prognosis is not likely to be good.

I'd have neurological issues on the differential list also, with the head swinging...

1) Is she a dairy or beef cow?

2) How old is she?

3) When is her calving date?

4) What is her rectal temperature?

Latest posts