Down Cow with diareah

Help Support CattleToday:

These replace and re-hydrate lost fluids, kind of like Gatorade does for people. They can be bought at most any Feed and Farm Supply store. You don't need to go to a vet. And they are not very expensive.

Crowderfarms":1s1rnzgm said:
These replace and re-hydrate lost fluids, kind of like Gatorade does for people. They can be bought at most any Feed and Farm Supply store. You don't need to go to a vet. And they are not very expensive.
I got the " cow gatorade" and am giving it to her. I stay with her allot and she drank about three gallons of water in all yesterday. She is trying to get up now but is always ending up on her side. with her legs out in front of her. I keep helping her get up right. Could you tell me if this gatorade water will harm the calf? I have them in a bull pen fence together and the calf is drinking the same water.

You are doing a lot more then most people would. Expect the worst and hope for the best, that's the only way to make it in the cattle business. Take 1848's advise, it's as good as it gets.

Glad to hear the cow has resumed trying to get up. The electrolytes won't hurt the calf at all. It'll be good for him. I hope she makes it. Maybe the lifts will help. Good luck with her and her calf. You have tried so hard and done very well. Sometimes working with cattle can be very challenging to say the least.

Katherine

The cow that has me most concerned just slipped under the fence and is laying in a gully and we cant get her out.
This was on the 6th.

I for one think you have done an exceptional job. To be honest with you I didn't think she would have made it this long. For someone that has not been around cows much you seem to be doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

buckaroo_bif":1y7ssirn said:
good work ms. chatress! :)
Everyone on this forum has been so encouraging and so helpful. I think I am going to have to give up. She wont eat she only drank about a gallon of water yesterday all day. Her stool has a thick mucous no substance. I feel totally helpless.

I have to admit I would not have gone this far - sounds like it is time for some high speed lead.

Do what you gotta' do and realize it may be the first time - but if you stay in the business it will not be the last.

Take care.

Bez

Bez":jxnaklf7 said:
I have to admit I would not have gone this far - sounds like it is time for some high speed lead.

Do what you gotta' do and realize it may be the first time - but if you stay in the business it will not be the last.

Take care.

Bez
I know that my husband is going to stay with this and I am going to stay with him. I am also going to be reading posts every day and taking notes.

Good that you are willing to stick with your husband on it..but sometimes it is time to recognize when the "shoot they cow" gang is right.....move on and make other things a higher priority. A cow will tell you with her eyes when she wants to keep fighting and when she wants to give up...never fails!!! After you spend enough time with your cattle and lose enough of them you will know what I mean. Better luck next time because I pronounce this one dead. Sorry

tapeworm":11dafyh1 said:
Good that you are willing to stick with your husband on it..but sometimes it is time to recognize when the "shoot they cow" gang is right.....move on and make other things a higher priority. A cow will tell you with her eyes when she wants to keep fighting and when she wants to give up...never fails!!! After you spend enough time with your cattle and lose enough of them you will know what I mean. Better luck next time because I pronounce this one dead. Sorry
Your right. I know. :cry: I will get over and move on. I will be watching and reading as well as taking notes and asking questions.
Thank you all.

Sorry to hear of the problems with your cow, as many have said, it happens :(

If you have the heart to, you can always apprectiate the fact that she may provide you will good beef for some time to come. :oops:

A learning experience at the very least. :cboy:

"If you have the heart to, you can always apprectiate the fact that she may provide you will good beef for some time to come."

After she's been soaking in water, drug out of aditch, not eating or drinking enough and laying around bruising for a week???? Yum yum

tapeworm":2210mv2b said:
"If you have the heart to, you can always apprectiate the fact that she may provide you will good beef for some time to come."

After she's been soaking in water, drug out of aditch, not eating or drinking enough and laying around bruising for a week???? Yum yum
Its done. NO we had no intentions of eating her. She was so pumped up with medicnes not to mention what she has been threw.

randumchatress":3t6t95np said:
buckaroo_bif":3t6t95np said:
Everyone on this forum has been so encouraging and so helpful. I think I am going to have to give up. She wont eat she only drank about a gallon of water yesterday all day. Her stool has a thick mucous no substance. I feel totally helpless.
oh :( i'm sorry to hear that today but there is only so much you can do it's hard i know. we seem to lose at least one cow a year, most always the older ones.. best idea is to cull them before they get too old. 'keep your chin up you'll and don't feel bad you'll do fine.
bif

buckaroo_bif":2mz554wv said:
randumchatress":2mz554wv said:
buckaroo_bif":2mz554wv said:
oh :( i'm sorry to hear that today but there is only so much you can do it's hard i know. we seem to lose at least one cow a year, most always the older ones.. best idea is to cull them before they get too old. 'keep your chin up you'll and don't feel bad you'll do fine.
bif
:) Thank you. . It wont, Im sure get easier but I will be better able to handle it. :oops: I hope. ;-)

Latest posts