Down cow up

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't mean that in a bad way. Just that I can't handle cows in mud. At least if I unroll it might be wet on top and they waste some but no getting hung in the mud.
That's why I quit using bale rings too Kenny, even if I'd move them every day there were times they'd be belly deep in mud and I lost a couple. I unroll bales on top of the clay knobs weather permitting, otherwise try to find a sheltered spot in the trees. Yes, they waste some hay feeding like that but it's better than trampled cows.

I am declaring victory. #13 (the down cow) had a calf this morning. Went out to feed at about 7:00. She was by herself over by the river but she came to the feed row. At about 10:00 we went back out to tag 3 calves born yesterday and last night. #13 was back to that same spot along the river with a brand new calf. It hadn't stood up yet. It tried to stand and fell toward the river. Drug it about 50 feet out into the field. Didn't need it taking a nose dive into the river. Back to check about 11:00 and it is standing and nursing.

I took a picture of #13 and her calf while doing the late afternoon calf check. The calf is moving good and looks to have sucked. No more new ones today. None that looked to pop during the night. Watch one of them will make a liar out of me. #12 and 30 could go at anytime but I have been saying that for a couple days now. We will see what the morning brings. It snowed the last couple days but it got up to 39 today. I am thinking mid 20's tonight. No snow in the forecast the next couple days and the highs are around 40.

Attachments

• P2202378.JPG
    P2202378.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 9
Kill cow prices were pretty good today. High cow I seen was .82. Most were in the 70's.
But markets are closed every because of the ice. Just 40 miles north of here it was bad. Of course no cows coming out of TX either.

Latest posts