down calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Donald Bonino

Reaction score
We have a month old Gelbvieh heifer calf who was doing fine, walking, running, eating(nursing the cow) & 2 days ago went down. She can't get up, can't walk, & her head pulls to one side. The vet can't find anything. He gave her nuflor, azium, banamine, E-SE, B complex & glucose 50 %. She is taking milk from a bottle. No fever & her lungs are clear. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening? Thanks!!

This is right out of left field, but do you have any equipment that the calf might have gotten into contact with a battery? Cattle are extremely sensitive to lead poisoning.

Just a late night shot in the dark...hope she recovers from whatever ails her soon.

Take care.

I had a calf born like that (with a neck twisted to one side), called wry neck, or maybe torticollosis. I don't know if they can GET this or are BORN with it? Otherwise I would have to agree with cattleannie, poison from something? Hope he turns out ok.

Dee, I had one that was born like that last spring. Ended up having to put her down (spine was twisted as well). Never knew the name of the condition till you posted it. Thanks - always good to learn a new thing!

Take care.

we had a calf with the same problems you mentioned the vet called it LISTERIOSIS his treatment was large doses of pennicillan he said it was usually the end for the calf .
after 8 days of 50cc shots the calf got up still with a crocked neck
the neck did straighten after a couple of weeks

Latest posts