Down bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Lotam

Reaction score
I have a bull calf about 8 months old. He had pink eye in the spring and we treated it but he always seemed puny and didn't really grow. Now he has the scours and has gotten down. We are taking sweet feed and water to him but I am afraid he may already be too weak to recover. Any ideas on something I can try?

I agree with Suzorse and Dash. Might be something simple or something serious. Either way, he is too valuable to just guess.

A stool sample is the easiest way to find out whats wrong and a beginning. From there you can treat. Might be an illness, but it could be stomach worms..

branguscowgirl":1taigosl said:
I agree with Suzorse and Dash. Might be something simple or something serious. Either way, he is too valuable to just guess.

Add my vote to that. Get a vet to look at him NOW.

I'm sorry I guess I should have been more informative. I have consulted my vet and he has given me medicine to administer. What I really wanted to know was does anyone have any ideas on how to get the calf back on his feet? Everyone that I have ever had that got down and stayed down for a day or two, never got back up.

If the vet is involved already, you might ask about a Multimin injection or atleast a Muse or Bose. The Multimin can help boost it's energy some. If you are in a Selenium deficient area, the Muse or Bose can help a lot. (But only one or the other.) If you give Muse or Bose, add a vit A and D. And possibly B shot also. I have seen good results.
Also if he is eating sweet feed, get some powdered Probios to sprinkle in it. Adds beneficial bacteria back into the gut.

Latest posts