Down and Out?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a calf that has been down for about 2 months (holstein) He says that he will try and get up every few days but never makes it. I suggested using a sling and he has already tried that. The calf eats and drinks fine but legs are looking pretty scrawny being how he hasn't walked in 2 months. Joints look to be fine no malformities. I am curious what yall think of this deal.

i went by there on thursday and saw him there. They raise a couple hundred bottle calves a year.

To each his own I guess. I certainly don't see how that is profitable.

I think I'd shoot him right now.

Million and one problems the calf could have, but the time for doing something was a long time ago. Day or two after birth. I've become convinced that if a calf doesn't use a leg or two pronto, that they forget HOW. Older cow that's really lame and not using a leg can recover, but a calf that has never or only briefly used it - forget it.

Shoot him and be done with it.

(Yeah, I'm learning. :lol:)

For future reference, first thing that comes to mind is a good dose of selenium, any vitamins and minerals you can give without toxic results - probably a Selenium, Vit B, A, D, E combo plus electrolytes - and then try to get the calf up. If he isn't sick (scours/pnemonia) and not up in a few days, you're wasting your time and money.

Beef11 - How long do you think this fellow will hang onto the calf before coming to that conclusion?

Beef11 - How long do you think this fellow will hang onto the calf before coming to that conclusion?

Its been down 2 months? maybe he thinks it will figure out how to walk when it hits puberty and there is a heifer in heat nearby? After about 2 weeks of it not walking or improving i would have gotten tired of feeding the sucker.

I would have gotten tired of bottle feeding a couple hundred calves. Do they make money doing that with the price of milk replacer?

I say no longer than a week messing with a down cow, and only then if they are getting better not worse. I can not believe someone would not shoot one before 2 months were up.

Latest posts