Doubling Lute at CIDR removal

Help Support CattleToday:

VaCowman

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried doubling the dose of Lute when pulling CIDRs? (We use 7d CoSync with CIDR) Our vet recently returned from a conference where they discussed this topic. We tried it on the COWS and it appeared there were more cows standing/showing heats than usual. Time will tell if the extra dose was worth it or not...preg check at 90d post AI ~end of Feb., but was wondering if anyone else had tried this and how it turned out at preg check. Thanks!

VaCowman":38i3gm0j said:
Has anyone ever tried doubling the dose of Lute when pulling CIDRs? (We use 7d CoSync with CIDR) Our vet recently returned from a conference where they discussed this topic. We tried it on the COWS and it appeared there were more cows standing/showing heats than usual. Time will tell if the extra dose was worth it or not...preg check at 90d post AI ~end of Feb., but was wondering if anyone else had tried this and how it turned out at preg check. Thanks!

I have been advised by an Embryologist to give 6 mL instead of the normal 5 mL but not heard of a double dose.

Last 2 years We give 7 cc to the larger cows say over 1400. 3 days later All the ones with 7cc have been standing. Many with only 5 cc have not.

I have heard from a very well respected embryologist to give 6-7 cc instead of 5cc.
He also said to absolutly not use the hi-con Lutalyse. This spring I plan to give everything 6ml.

What about open heifers that are being set up for the first time? And are weighing less than mature cows are you giving them 6ml as well? Or sticking to the 5ml?

I can't see how it would hurt any class of cow/heifer. Its job is to break down the CL so a follicle can start maturing. I think the recommended dose is what will do the job in the greater majority of cases. I am sure that when working that out lower and higher doses were tried and that was the sweet spot where higher doses did not improve the results greatly. The drug companies certainly won't be complaining if you use more. I think I will try a higher dose next year, maybe double.

Ken

I once asked my vet if using 6 cc was better. He asked "do you buy it from me?" I said yes. He said "absolutely". LOL
I do believe the bigger weight cows (over 1400#) benefit from the extra amount. (he has been my vet since 1985, I am lucky to have such a great vet!)

My vet who has the degree mainly to do ET work since vet degree was required in this state for a lot of year to sell embryos told me to give 6cc of lute to all bigger cows. He feels cause of new regulations the drugs aren't as effective as they use to be. I used a timed protocal but also bred off standing heats up to the timed protocal for the rest. Every one of the cows I gave the extra to had a standing heat before the protocal time and i had a 95 percent first breeding on the cows that were standing early. The rest were no where near that good. I think next year they will all get 6 or 7cc. I had 2 really good heifers i wanted to make sure stuck to ai so I gave the extra just to help make sure they had a good heat and they both stood early and both were confirmed bred by ultrasound to ai date.

Interesting discussion. I'm wondering for those of us that do timed AI, would using a bit more lute be helpful, or would you risk bringing them into heat too early (assuming you are not going to breed them until the tech comes to do them all)?

T & B farms":yo2ea5vz said:
I have heard from a very well respected embryologist to give 6-7 cc instead of 5cc.
He also said to absolutly not use the hi-con Lutalyse. This spring I plan to give everything 6ml.
I usually AI a portion of my herd each year using fixed time synchronized protocols. I had been giving 6 to 7 cc of Lutalyse as was recommended to me. In 2017 I switched to the new 2cc dose product. I had 13 out of 14 cows show heat and all 13 of those who showed heat, settled AI. I went ahead and used the 2 cc product again this year because last year was my highest percentage of successful AI ever. We usually settle somewhere between 60 and 80% with synchronization and fixed time breeding and there are usually a few that have not yet shown heat by the scheduled time to breed. Last year 92.9% showed heat prior to scheduled AI and 100% of those settled and gave birth to an AI calf. That was likely mostly dumb luck, but I gave some credit to the new concentrated Lutalyse.

Did your embryologist say why you should not use the more concentrated Lutalyse?

Katpau":20n6a2og said:
T & B farms":20n6a2og said:
I usually AI a portion of my herd each year using fixed time synchronized protocols. I had been giving 6 to 7 cc of Lutalyse as was recommended to me. In 2017 I switched to the new 2cc dose product. I had 13 out of 14 cows show heat and all 13 of those who showed heat, settled AI. I went ahead and used the 2 cc product again this year because last year was my highest percentage of successful AI ever. We usually settle somewhere between 60 and 80% with synchronization and fixed time breeding and there are usually a few that have not yet shown heat by the scheduled time to breed. Last year 92.9% showed heat prior to scheduled AI and 100% of those settled and gave birth to an AI calf. That was likely mostly dumb luck, but I gave some credit to the new concentrated Lutalyse.

Did your embryologist say why you should not use the more concentrated Lutalyse?

He told me cows were not cycling in the same time frame that they were with the traditional lute. Said it was really a problem for people doing timed ai.
Your results pretty much prove it is not an issue

Y'all are wasting alot of money!!!! It is absolutely not a per pound drug.
The one thing in this post that made sense is who's selling to who.
And the 1 mention of absolutely no hi- con must have come from someone that's never used it, it works great for me, and love it being 2cc so that and cysteryln 2cc, only have 1 size syringe. 3cc

I talked with our embryologist and he said that fairies are doing 5ml then another 5ml 12 hours later in a strictly timed A.I. senecio. He didn't see any use for any extra with beef cows or with observing heats.

Franke":28pnh2kp said:
I talked with our embryologist and he said that fairies are doing 5ml then another 5ml 12 hours later in a strictly timed A.I. senecio. He didn't see any use for any extra with beef cows or with observing heats.
But what are the elves doing? ;-) (yes I know you meant dairies, just funnin')

boondocks":2n65b2vi said:
Franke":2n65b2vi said:
But what are the elves doing? ;-) (yes I know you meant dairies, just funnin')
Ha yes I should proof read more carefully.

contacted my vet about the concentrated pgf2a and she said it was a little cheaper to use but that most clients were afraid that if both shots were 2 cc they might give the wrong shot at the wrong time...so she was selling mostly the regular formula...

I think that if you are too stupid to know what you are giving the cows they should be taken away from you...

Latest posts