Double chaining gates

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
During deer season someone removed a gate from its hinges and drove around all over our other farm so we chained the other side and put a padlock on it. Last night someone removed a gate completely, broke into our feed truck and took it for a joy ride. Thankfully, we had a double set of gates between the feed lot and the cattle so they didn't get out.

Evidently, they just drove around and burned gas then brought the truck back. They propped the gate in the opening and left. Didn't have sense enough to take it out of four wheel drive. Back to the hardware store for more chain and locks. It's a pain but everything has to be under lock and key now. On top of that, deputy told us that if they had an accident, we would have been liable. Do you think that's true?

Green Creek":13p48eqt said:
During deer season someone removed a gate from its hinges and drove around all over our other farm so we chained the other side and put a padlock on it. Last night someone removed a gate completely, broke into our feed truck and took it for a joy ride. Thankfully, we had a double set of gates between the feed lot and the cattle so they didn't get out.

Evidently, they just drove around and burned gas then brought the truck back. They propped the gate in the opening and left. Didn't have sense enough to take it out of four wheel drive. Back to the hardware store for more chain and locks. It's a pain but everything has to be under lock and key now. On top of that, deputy told us that if they had an accident, we would have been liable. Do you think that's true?

Did you leave the keys in the truck? If so, maybe it could be claimed you hadn't done everything you could to keep it from being stolen. I've heard of insurance companys fighting claims when the keys were left in a car and it was stolen. Otherwise, if you've got locks on the gates and take the keys out of the truck, I don't see how you could be held liable. Just be sure and report the theft promptly.

Green Creek":2kz3k7ty said:

i dont see how you be liable since in reality they stole the truck.that is clear by them taking the gate off the hinges.but your state laws maybe differant.to me they tresspassed an stole your truck.

Green Creek":1jr5u4r4 said:
No keys in the truck. They jammed a screwdriver in the ignition to start it. We locked the doors too this time.

Then I don't see any way you could be held responsible. I'd think just closing the gates, locking the truck and taking the keys would be enough to get the liability off you. You might call your local district attorney's office and ask if the deputy knew what he was talking about. It must be irritating to have to deal with this sort of thing, especially if it's happening regularly. :(

Green Creek":2m5jsl2u said:

You can bet that it is someone you know best place to look for a rat is in your own backyard.

What burns me up is the fact that you lock it up won't deter the real #$%holes. If they want to do something ornery, they'll just tear the lock up or break a window. Boone

Remember the kids that shot up the battery and fence charger? We are almost certain it was them again but no way to prove it. CB is right about them being in the backyard. One is 16 and the other 14; not the age we thought they were when we settled with restitution before.

You said they left it in 4wd, should be some muddy footprints and definately some fingerprints, what would Deputy Doo-Little say about that?

cfpinz

The ground was frozen and the truck was parked on a grassy strip so no footprints and the deputy was not interested in pursuing it any further...too much work for a "joy ride". "happens all the time", "lucky they didn't burn it"....you know the drill.

About twenty years ago, I went to work for a friend of mine in South Texas. Kids were stealing fuel out of the airplanes on a regular basis. When I asked why he didn't do anything about it, his reply was it wouldn't do any good to call the sheriff. I took it upon myself to put a stop to it. Called the sheriff and raised mortal HEdoubleL about it every time it happened until I got the sheriff to put the place on a scheduled route for the deputies. I spent a number of nights out there just sitting and watching and waiting...We caught them finally! :D

As sad as it is, it will continue until you do something to make it much easier to bother the neighbor's stuff than yours. :(

Van

To be fair, they have their hands full here with an amazing amount of thefts just in the past few months so this probably isn't going to be top priority but they said they would keep their eyes open.

We got tired of people driving through our place to get to other places and so on. We put up chains and locks on all gates - both sides. One guy actually had the nerve to call us and ask for a key so he could drive through our place! He just rented the land next to us, didn't even own it and NEVER had our permission to be on our place and never asked if he could. I couldn't believe that.

Latest posts