Don't know what/how to choose...

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I'm considering (well I have to) getting a "new" car sometime, but I'm so confuddled by all the makes and models and all that enough that I don't know what to look for. I haven't started doing any serious looking because I don't know what vehicle (preferably a car, though I like my trucks) would be best for a new driver like myself. I do know that I don't want anything related to Dodge (including Chrysler, Jeep, etc. since we seem to have a bit of a jinx with dodges: own one for 5 years then crash it)--sorry Dodge fans :hide: --and would like a vehicle significantly under $10K. I'm not mechanically inclined so hopefully the car I get isn't one that I have to get someone to fix all the time.

So a bit o' :help: would be appreciated!

A Toyota, I don't know what models you have in the US, but over here, if you want something to last and not always being repaired you can't go wrong with a Toyota.
Ken

As far as mechanically sound, and excellent on gas a Honda Civic is hard to beat. There are tons of good choices though.

IluvABbeef":jej87qkj said:
I'm considering (well I have to) getting a "new" car sometime, but I'm so confuddled by all the makes and models and all that enough that I don't know what to look for. I haven't started doing any serious looking because I don't know what vehicle (preferably a car, though I like my trucks) would be best for a new driver like myself. I do know that I don't want anything related to Dodge (including Chrysler, Jeep, etc. since we seem to have a bit of a jinx with dodges: own one for 5 years then crash it)--sorry Dodge fans :hide: --and would like a vehicle significantly under $10K. I'm not mechanically inclined so hopefully the car I get isn't one that I have to get someone to fix all the time.

So a bit o' :help: would be appreciated!

Figure out what dealerships are close available to you and that will help frame your choice. I say Ford, but if no Ford dealer nearby, that doesn't help you.

I hate cars with a passion, so I won't recommend them. Modern ones are death traps with pretty-colored metal. A small 1/4 ton truck or even a regular cab 1/2 ton is great. You want something that is 4x4. 4x4 or all-wheel drive should be mandatory in Canada. Kijiji is a great place to look for something.

Make sure the vehicle has had a safety in the last 6 months. You don't want or need any surprises.

At your price and age of vehicle your considering, it's going to be hard to get something with less than 200k km, but stay below 300k km for sure. You want some life left in the vehicle.

Go for an automatic transmission. Electronic locks and windows are not crucial for your vehicle, but I would say that air conditioning is.

Make sure there is ample tread on the tires. Tires are a guaranteed big purchase for a vehicle, and you don't want to have to do it right away.

One the best things about trucks over cars is that there is usually enough space in the engine bay to work on them with no great effort. Cars, especially the foreign ones (but the domestic ones can be just as bad) can be a real pain to work on because everything is stuffed into a box 2X-too small.

Here are some ideas:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z359846337
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z359339106
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z359339106
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z359323819

they ay the new camry will get 42 mpg-I'm thinking of trading for one, thats alot of gas to be saved-especially if it goes up to $5 a gallon

Aaron, we have a Ford, Chevy/GMC and Dodge dealerships all in one town (at my hometown), same with the town we go to that's a half hour away, which gives me LOTS of choices. And they sell used vehicles of all types, which also helps.

So...I know I'd love a truck, and I completely agree with you Aaron, I feel a lot safer in a truck than a car, but for the first little bit I just need something that will get me from point A to point B and back again. There was something also I have to ask in addition to the suggestions for a good vehicle: what's the difference between front-wheel and rear-wheel drive? And which is safer for a newbie behind the wheel like yours truly?

Keep the suggestions coming, this vehicle decision is top priority so I can actually get out and get a job. Didn't get the last one I went in to an interview for.

So keep 'em coming

Latest posts