dont know much about horses, but

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
there is a show on rfd.. downunder horsemanship or something like that.. that guy sure does make it look interesting and fun.

havent seen but 2 or 3 or his shows, but he sure does make it look easy.

if i keep on watching his shows, i might just have to buy me a horse. :roll: :shock: :lol:

jt

That's Clinton Anderson. I have a few of his tapes and really like his techniques. He makes horse training seem simple and interesting. Although, when you actually try it, it's not that simple. I guess it takes time to get use to :)

ALACOWMAN":32hy7daj said:
In my humble but acurate opinion Clinton Anderson is a heck of a horseman.really like his method :hat:

I agree completly, but remember he has hand selected horses for his show. I like his technique and I like training in his style, but remember if you're buying a horse make sure it's not a nut to start with.

jmo,
Alan

Alan":3g8dedvo said:
ALACOWMAN":3g8dedvo said:
In my humble but acurate opinion Clinton Anderson is a heck of a horseman.really like his method :hat:

I agree completly, but remember he has hand selected horses for his show. I like his technique and I like training in his style, but remember if you're buying a horse make sure it's not a nut to start with.

jmo,
Alan

LOL!! ALAN NAILED IT TO THE WALL FOR YA!! :cboy:

jt":n0vpcbhn said:
if i keep on watching his shows, i might just have to buy me a horse. :roll: :shock: :lol:
jt

Careful there.....you'll get hooked. :lol:
We put my nephew on a horse when he was a junior in high school several years ago.....all I can say is....I think he has his bed right next to his horse's stall. And the horse trailer is always hooked up to his truck. ;-)

Alan":2xeyemd1 said:
ALACOWMAN":2xeyemd1 said:

jmo,
Alan
Im not going to be buying one. ive already got some. it would be kind of stupid of him to show his technique on tv with a green horse. i like his way of handling. i all ready learned how to pick my own horses years ago .thanks

Alan":1ui80brm said:
ALACOWMAN":1ui80brm said:

jmo,
Alan

It may be true that he selects his horses for the TV show but in the colt breaking contest that he's won 2 or 3 times it's the luck of the draw. I like his techniques / training style also, I had a old timer years ago tell me that your horse has to respect you in order to get the most out of your horse.

;-)

TLCfromARK":2hrj5vxp said:
Alan":2hrj5vxp said:
ALACOWMAN":2hrj5vxp said:

jmo,
Alan

It may be true that he selects his horses for the TV show but in the colt breaking contest that he's won 2 or 3 times it's the luck of the draw. I like his techniques / training style also, I had a old timer years ago tell me that your horse has to respect you in order to get the most out of your horse.

;-)

That is true, but an equally big part is trust between you and your horse and consistency on your part. Just my thoughts.

TLCfromARK":110kxvkg said:
Alan":110kxvkg said:
ALACOWMAN":110kxvkg said:

jmo,
Alan

;-)

I agree, Clinton is one of the best out there, but you don't see him or Pat or any other pro "TV" horse trainer with a truley nutty horse. One that flips over if you try to blanket it, or try to run over you when you open the door or gate. But again, I agree 100% with the technique.

JMO
Alan

Yes, Clint and Pat seem to be excellent horsemen and thier techniques work. What you don't see on TV is the patience and time needed. Not just minutes or hours but days, weeks, months and years. For the horse and yourself.

TAMARACKREG":3f362k01 said:
Yes, Clint and Pat seem to be excellent horsemen and thier techniques work. What you don't see on TV is the patience and time needed. Not just minutes or hours but days, weeks, months and years. For the horse and yourself.

Tamarackreg,
You hit it on the head, couldn't and didn't say it nearly as well.

I feel Clinton is the best out there, although I do have problems with all of them selling thier respetive products all through their demos, but I like Clinton the best and I have learned alot from alot of them.

Alan wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
In my humble but acurate opinion Clinton Anderson is a heck of a horseman.really like his method

jmo,
Alan
Im not going to be buying one. ive already got some. it would be kind of stupid of him to show his technique on tv with a green horse. i like his way of handling. i all ready learned how to pick my own horses years ago .thanks

Alacowman,
Sorry never intended any offense to you. should have seperated my message maybe, the only part of your reponse directed at you was that I agreed completly with it, I think Clinton the best.

I didn't mean to imply that you were needing to buy a horse or need to know how to buy a horse. I was just simply stating that most of the "TV" horses are pretty well done with training in the area he or any of them wants to show them trained in before the cameras roll. I have watched shows where I can see the horse is going to loose it or give them some trouble and they cut and edit that part out. I think it would be great to see how they work out of a problem on TV. I wish I could remember his name right now but I can't, but on his show he was training a 2 yr old on water crossing without edit that I could see. The horse was refuseing and backing, snorting and trying to turn. It even squatted down to near it's belly a couple of times, all with rider aboard and handling it with patience and encouragement, the most I ever got out of a TV show, it was great.

I also went to a Clinton seminar a couple of years ago and he did a trailer loading semianar. The horse they brought in was a unmannered 2 year old Paint stud. This horse would turn and kick at him try to bite and rear, as well as charge him and strike at him. The horse was a total jerk he told the audience to be patient this was going to take a bit longer. The next time the horse charged him he laid the "stick" across the horses nose. The horse went to kick he got a good smack across the butt. All the while he was explaining to the crowd, first comes respect for the safety of the handler and the horse, then we work on trust. He got the horse to respect him and to load on his own in about and hour to a hour and half. The biggest thing it did for me is showed my wife that you don't always have to "foo foo" your horse, it's not a dog.

So, all I was saying it would be nice to watch some of these TV pro's work out some of the kink's on TV. I realize it would be near impossible to do in a 1/2 hour show, but it would be a whole lot more educational and honest.

JMO,
Alan

Latest posts