dont know how much to sell for

Help Support CattleToday:

codymock

Reaction score
hello everyone was hoping someone could give me a general idea on how much holstein steers and both pregnant and not pregnant red and black angus would go for at auction in the washington state area.

codymock":2vtallnz said:
hello everyone was hoping someone could give me a general idea on how much holstein steers and both pregnant and not pregnant red and black angus would go for at auction in the washington state area.
Cody, I don't know what side of the Mts. you are on, but the best market on the east side is at Toppenish, WA. Here's the link: http://www.toppenishlivestock.com/. On the beef cattle, it won't tell you what "red" or "black" are fetching, but it should answer all or most of your other questions. The weight is by 100-weight. So, from last week's sale, 400-500 lb. holstein steers were going for $110-$175/hundred lbs.

The regular cattle sale there is normally on Thursdays, and they'll have that sale day results posted the next day. Dave on the board is from the west side, and south, near Olympia. He usually trucks his cattle to Toppenish -- says its the best place to take them. I don't buy or sell there, but if I'm shopping locally-raised cattle, both me and the seller will be looking at Toppenish prices to figure out the deal.

There is a lot of difference in price based on size and quality. Just based on what you said it would be impossible to give you an estimation of price. You can look at the market report for Toppenish. USDA also reports at Davenport. Those two sales will give you an idea. If you are on the west side of the state expect a dime less at the saleyard. But on the west side you can sell private treaty and get a dime more than the east side cow sales, maybe more.

codymock":hl7ibrkf said:

Prices are better for folks than they have been for a lot, a lot of years, sellers market! Sell if you have them and want to let them go.

Dave, not to hijack this thread, We have heavy rain again today and cool weather..... again. How's the hay crop look a in your area? I believe we are way behind with hay fields, maybe haying in mid August for the second year in a row. Crap weather.

Alan

Alan, to answer your non-hijacking question; We have a lot of grass this year. It has been a great grass growing year. A couple weeks late getting started but since then it has grown pretty good. Hay weather... not so much. However, there have been enough breaks in the weather that a lot of haylage has been made. Now with the wet weather we will get more second cutting than normal where haylage was made. I don't know of any dry hay made yet this year. I don't know of anyone even attempting to make dry hay yet. By the time the weather does break and they start making hay..... There is going to be a bunch of that August made first cutting again this year which is the same as feeding straw.

Latest posts