Don't care to ever see this again...

Help Support CattleToday:

Crazy Farmgirl

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon a neighboring township was called to a fire reported as "a few hay bales on fire behind a barn", initial responding dept did not feel the need to call back-up immediately. Upon arrival they found approx. 1500 round bales stacked in 10 rows, 3 wide by 3 high and about 200 ft long ea, spacing between the rows was barely enough for a UTV (maybe 6ft). Needless to say it was a "5 alarm" fire by the time the first water unit arrived, 3 more departments were dispatched, by the time we arrived it was a "surround and drown" nightmare! Initially the wind that was fanning the fire was at least favorable for saving the barn located less than 75 ft from the stacks, about 3 hours in a weather front came through and the wind changed to blowing the fire into the barn. 2 departments concentrated on protecting the barn while the rest of us fought choking smoke to keep the flames at bay. Due to the way the bales were stacked there was no good way to fight this fire! We got 2 bulldozers in to move the bales away from the structure but it was a long exhausting process. By 2am the dozers had moved the bales to the far side of the feild and the wind changed again reducing the threat to the barn, by 4am the bales were reduced to a large stinking pile of wet smoldering hay that we deemed was no threat to structures and were able to let burn.

These are some pics taken from my cell phone..not the greatest quality but you'll get the picture....
about 2 hrs in
2012-09-12_21-25-13_670.jpg

2012-09-12_21-25-35_373.jpg

Pushed into a pile....for percpective I am about 75yds away and light to the far right is a D8 dozer.

2012-09-12_23-54-13_656.jpg

2012-09-12_23-54-33_999.jpg

Moments before we left

2012-09-13_01-03-42_539.jpg

The farm where this happened runs a dairy herd around 300 and a deacon herd of around 250. He lost every single round bale he had and states he has around 2000 squares in the barn we were able to save...absolutely devastating to see as a fellow farmer and knowing what an impact that leaves. He also stated he had no insurance to cover the hay. More than likely he will be out of business shortly...sad to see it end that way.

Physically made me ill to stand there doing everything within my power to help save the hay yet knowing it was a futile fight simply from a logistical standpoint, the arrangement of the stacks gave us no good way to access them and round bales by nature are NOT easy to extinguish. Also brings to mind the fact that this could be anyones farm, when stacking bales does anyone think of the "what if's" of these types of things?

I don't think of enough "what if's" but I do insure my hay for some of them. Terrible, hard to imagine what that family is going through today.

i do feel sorry for them and think it is a very bad deal but if i had 1500 bales that around here are worth atleast 60$ right now i would have had to of had some insurance.

That is devistating! I really feel for the farm owner. A similar deal happened to my husband's family when he was young, but the whole ranch ended up burnt to the ground. They were in MT at that time.

As for 'planning'. I stack mine well away from any buildings, and on the section of our place where the prevailing winds would not be blowing towards any structures.

Very sad.

Katherine

denvermartinfarms":2j5aa149 said:
i do feel sorry for them and think it is a very bad deal but if i had 1500 bales that around here are worth atleast 60$ right now i would have had to of had some insurance.

Agreed, we were all shocked that an operation of that size had no insurance. I am nowhere near the size they are but I still carry some insurance, not the best but enough to ensure that this type of tragedy could end up a bump in the road and not a one way ticket over the cliff.

I had a local producer and a neighbor over the weekend get a large stack of wheat straw bales hit by lightning and the whole thing burned to the ground.

this was a large stack of regular square bales stacked in the field by stackwagons and covered. He sells lots of straw to construction and home improvement businesses.

Just a thought.
Maybe get a Give A Ton program going for them.
Donating a bale or 2 to help out someone dealing with something so bad is a God sent.

A family friend had a fire go through his pasture and destroy some hay. Neighbors all around stepped up and donated enough hay to keep them in business.
That is the difference between farmers and ranchers and the rest. We are willing to help each other and not ask for anything in return.

If i was in the area i would be willing to help anyway i could. but i have been thinking about this off and on today and 1500 bales worth 60$ and i don't know if that is right in your area or not but if it is that is 90000$ that is the cost of some houses most people don't go without insurance on them or pieces of equipment of that value.it would about kill me to have go out of the cattle business becuse of somthing like this that could have been avoided or atleast made to be easier to get thru.

Latest posts